Large L190 with white stringy poo

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Came back from uni last night and saw that my largest L190 (16") was pooing white stringy faeces with occasional bits of brown in it. I know that this can often mean internal parasites.

Being away its harder for me too judge but he seemed the same as usual. Pattern and colour was normal, eyes fine, belly was skinny but he's always been that way. Still eating and fairly active.

My mum did tell me that after the last water change (last monday), which I did, eek!) the heater was off. She noticed on tuesday and the temp was 21 degrees, the usual being 27 degrees.

This made me think that it was possible that the L190 had harboured some internal parasites but shown no symptoms but then the temp drop stressed him and so they were able to take hold.

I also noticed that on the righthand side of his head there were a few (5-6) white spots (<1mm) and in between a couple of his armour plates on the membrane/skin section (2mm). They look 'wrong' but enough to notice them.

A few pictures,

the suspect poo

bit of a skinny belly

but still eating an algae wafer and bit of skinny belly (the light makes it loo worse)

What do you think?

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Have you used a wormer on him before? It would be my first treatment if he really does look skinnier than normal and there is a lot of stringy white poo rather than just one string at the rate Royal turn over food you will not have long to wait and see.
How big are the spots? are they like the size of a grain of salt or bigger?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Ive never used a wormer on any of my fish. Last night there were probably 3 long pieces of the white stringy stuff. Looking just now I cant see any but the usual brown poo is back which is a good sign.

The spots are probably smaller than a grain of salt. They were a fleeting moment really, and there werent many. I'll try and get a look again.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
looks like needs feeding up, what else does he eat as well as algae pellets? will he eat peas (with skin off ) or cucumber etc?
looks bare bottom or I would suggest the spots mighthave been sand. keep very close eye on him. anything else in the tank? are they ok?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
looks like needs feeding up, what else does he eat as well as algae pellets? will he eat peas (with skin off ) or cucumber etc?
looks bare bottom or I would suggest the spots mighthave been sand. keep very close eye on him. anything else in the tank? are they ok?
His primary diet is veg (cucumber, courgette, sweet potato, brocoli, carrot, swede, squash, pear, melon etc) and then hikari wafers and sera nip.

He's with L350,L310,L27,L128,L104 and 7 Puntius denisonii. They all look fine. The L27 was added about 2 months ago after 6 weeks in quarantine.

Worming looks the right atm, what one would you recommend?

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
The big panaque are hard work to get fat and keep fat. My 'Big Wiska' has always been the same build as your guy, I have made an effort to get him built up over the last 3 months (poor old filters lol) and he is looking only a little better but definatly better. The Hakari wafers have kept my blue eye football shapped for a long time now and are proven to make your fish fat!

White poo......yes it can be worms and a bad sign but eh, we all get bad tummys now and again and im sure our fish our the same. I have seen it randomly in my tank before, all you can but sit and watch or in your case ring home every hour to see how your fish are pooing (lol sorry bud). I would deworm, shouldnt have any ill side effects to worry about, my plecs have been dosed before and they didnt miss a beat. With wil dcaught fish they will always have somthing kicking about in there system that the wormer should pick out.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
The big panaque are hard work to get fat and keep fat.
I know, I upped feeding to every other day for a fortnight to no avail, but I dont think the tank could take that for too long.

He's definitely feeding and pooing normally now, I will have a look for some de-wormer, as like many of you have said it cant do any harm.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes I looked up the wormer Jo suggested and it looks like a good thing cos safe for filter etc.
good to hear he is looking better

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Glad he is doing good. I feed every day now, probably why my water is going down hill. New filter got put in last night, will have to wait and see if it can keep up.