Lda33

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Any keepers of LDA33 snowball pleco? I've come across 3 tanks full of them today at one of my local stores, all approx 4". Stunning plecs, very active. I was told they had been trying to get them in for the last 8 months so now their avaiable they have loads. I'm guessing you would need a big tank for these? Has anyone ever bred them? They also had some L134 which they haven't been able to get in for a while.

Cheers
Gemma.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
both LDA33 and L134 are back in season so will appear in a few more shops so dont pay over the odds if they tell you that they are hard to get hold of, its just that they've been out of season.
LDA33 are great plecs, very pretty and fairly easy to keep.
they are very slow growers and will be fine in a small tank for a while, what size tank are you thinking of getting one for?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
L134 are the same iv found them to be easily kept in small tanks and upgrade as they grow. The seem to grow faster then other plecs iv owned and have a large appetite for protein foods make sure to keep the greens up though.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
both LDA33 and L134 are back in season so will appear in a few more shops so dont pay over the odds if they tell you that they are hard to get hold of, its just that they've been out of season.
LDA33 are great plecs, very pretty and fairly easy to keep.
they are very slow growers and will be fine in a small tank for a while, what size tank are you thinking of getting one for?
They are asking £35 for the LDA33 which I don't think is too bad for a plec that size, if I was to get a couple they would be for either my 4ft or 6 ft tank. It's just a maybe at the moment as money is a bit tight.

Thanks Rabbit, I already have L134 but I'm considering a couple more. I try to be sensible with my money but it's soooo hard, lol.

Cheers
Gemma

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
£35 is fine for them, and they would be happy in the 4 foot for a few years anyway, i'd say go for it

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have 4 LDA33 in 5ft, with Geos, L200 and other various fish.
the largest, I have had for 5 years or more amd is about 7 inch SL now.
I have not found anyone who has managed to breed them. but not many have tried either (so i tell myself to encourage me!-lol). Fella has been trying for a while too.
They are very hard to sex as well, but i think i have a male and female amongst them.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
I do lurve the LDA and have had two in the past, although both died on me (seperated by a year or two). I dont loose many fish so i keep away from the 33 now days, they dont like me!