Lighting

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I have TOLD (not strictly true) my missus that im setting up a dedicated breeding tank for either the L260's or L66's, do i need lighting? will get natural daylight until about midday. cheers

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
I have TOLD (not strictly true) my missus that im setting up a dedicated breeding tank for either the L260's or L66's, do i need lighting? will get natural daylight until about midday. cheers
i have no lights on my breeding tanks, they only get the natural daylight and have no problems with breeding. HTH

kev

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I have lights FF but hardly ever use them. Most of my groups only have a dim light from the LED lighting in the FH. Plus the fact when they are spawning I tend to put a towel over the front of the tank.

Cheers

thegeeman

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
It's probably best not to have the lighting too bright. As long as the caves are secured in a dark location, it shouldn't be a problem.

I

intrepidmax

I have lots of lights in my fish room. but the tank im trying to breed the hyps in is a dark tank and i cant even see into the caves without a torch. I dont have any windows in my fish room so im at a disadvantage......when i have spawned certain fish in the past....i normally cover the front and sides with news paper and then cut a small lift flap so i can see in with a red torch beam.

also with the on-slaught of rainy season for breeding works different ways. I have a few ideas for my fish......I might just try them all. within reason.

I

intrepidmax

I read somewhere that when breeding hyps your supposed to have the lights off for a while and then on for the full twelve hours......some people i suppose will use lighting as a trigger method...not sure to how much difference lighting makes.

wonders if anyone has done a case study?