lights v plants v fish

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,got up today and when my edge lights came on i noticed that 1 off the led bulbs had packed up.i have no spares so i fitted the standard crapy stock bulbs.within 5 mins i sore for the first time ALL of the fish i there at the same time :woohoo: i think my CPDs like the low light level.
i have also noticed that my 3 java ferns seam to be going very brown,is this cos of the hight light i had in there?
some sites say java ferns like low light,some say high light.
ive also stopped adding ferts to this tank,should i start again?
i use johny70 TFF.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would say, keep the bulb that you have. LED lights seem to be less usefull for plants, but that is just my experience. I would add some ferts for the Java. cheers jk :thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I don't particularly like the LED or Halogen bulbs for these, the halogens are 10W and 12V, so it probably is difficult to find a replacement. TenerDs has been adding fertiliser so I'm pretty sure the browning isn't a ferts. issue. I've got a 2' lowlight tank (2 x 13W T5 Kitchen link lights) run very nutrient poor, and I've actually found most plants do all right in there.

If it is an "all over bronzing"? it is high light effect. The CPD's feel more confident with lower light, that is why they are out.

I've just found there is a Fluval Edge Forum: <http://fluvaledge.forumengland.com/t5-fluval-edge-fluorescent-lighting>

So hopefully there should be something in there.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
i think ill stick with the stock lights,the CPD,s are out most of the time now.
been looking around some more sites and i seams that the led lights was making the leaves go brown.the brownest fern is the one right under the lights too.ive uped the ferts for a little while to help them out.good info on that site darrel but illl stick to stock lights,cheers.
BTW,the floating plants in my big tank are doing very well,all have roots longer than 4"!!!

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well the ferns are getting better.pulled them out and removed the dead leaves etc and then i found they had some staghorn growing on some off the leaves, so turned off the lights for 2 days,put on only for water changes,and its all going red.