Longfin bristlenose spawn

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
My two girls got tired of waiting for the male to cave and went and laid eggs without him.
He did eventually go in the cave about lunch time but tonight he was back under the driftwood and eggs were still there.
I took the eggs, put them in an egg tumber with a bit of slave labor to clean the eggs (cherry shrimp) and took out the big driftwood.
This male has no choice, either sit on the glass, sit on the spindley bit of driftwood left, or learn to cave.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Well done.
Iv just had an albino longfin do the job first timer, last night i fed that tank and he looked as if he was going for the food so i tapped on the glass constantly untill he fled back in.
Not the smartest fish.

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Great way to keep the eggs clean, using a shrimp.

There was an article at Aquarticles.com, but the link doesn't work now, that talks of using shrimp to keep killie eggs clean, here is the summary:

HOW I INCUBATE LYRETAILS' EGGS by Loh Kwek Leong
Summary: Lyretail and other non-annuals' eggs fungus easily. Java moss and a ghost shrimp provide a novel solution, as illustrated here in a wonderful series of close-up photographs.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Killifish/index.html

Just wish I'd saved the article. :wallbash:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I got them eating sera flora flake and found I have to slice cucumber really thin and flat and put it on the dw so they didn't have to climb far to get it.
They are just getting the taste for the veg now.
They should be big enough sometime next week to go into the main tank. :)
Oh by the way, although both parents are common lf bns, half the fry are lf albinos. :clap:

Princess x

May 12, 2009
Dorset
:clap: Awesome well done.

:re the egg tumbler are these readily available? the only info i have found is how to make your own :huh:

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
well done brenda.

Our longfins through a mix of common LF, LF albino and shortfin commons. As well as the odd few that are albino with brown patches.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Well the male has well and truly got the hang of caving and raising fry now. He is just raising their 3rd or 4th lot now and the poor 2ft tank is full.

I have just moved Mum into a lovely planted 4ft tank and it already has algae growing on the glass. She is in heaven.

Next week I will take some to the biggest fry and let them join mum in the 4ft, and the week after dad should be ready to rejoin his Mrs.

Must admit I haven't taken many photos. I just stand there watching their behaviour and antics.

I will get some photos soon.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Got some piccies. :D

My common lf parents throw both common lf and albino lf. Working on a theory the albinos are sex-linked and may turn out all female so keeping them until quite grown to see.

If you look bottom left there is a littley just out the cave.