Lost the L309,s now

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
:wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb:

Gone...........all of them wiped out. I am wandering if infact the L239,s were killed by lack of oxygen or the same thing that has just wiped out the 309,s. The 309,s have plenty of oxygen and flow but they the scene in the tank looks exactly like before, All of the adults just laying on the bottom dead.

I am now thinking its something in the water. I am using just HMA with prime at the moment as I need to sort a waste pipe out in order to rig up the RO unit again but apart from that its all the same equipment as before. No sign ammonia or nitrites (dont know why I tested really). I have only moved 2 roads from my old house so presume its the same water supply.

Macvsog23 had simillar experiences last year (lives down the road) in which he would find whole tanks wiped out without any signs or warning of problems.

Crapping myself about doing water changes now:wb::wb:

Much more of this and I will be packing in the fish and taking up knitting

Seriously gutted

Last edited:

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
Sorry for your loss:dk:
Have you tried to contact your local water board /supplier to see if they have treated the water supply with any extra chemicals this week, as they do from time to time add things to the water supply for various reasons, to late now I know but would be good to understand why this is happening:wb:

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
We have had a problem with our water recently due to the snow then heavy gritting serious amounts of lime got washed into the water supply lake to combat this the water board used huge amounts of chlorine the smell from the taps was rank even with prime and hma I lots a couple of tanks of shrimp but not any fish the same as you I have been at pains at water change times the, the water was "off" again this week due to the recent snow & grit again. Your local water board should have a website which will show any recent addatives to your supply.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, how awful, its just so horrible getting up to tank of dead fish, your heart sinks!
It does sound like water as any disease would not wipe them all so suddenly.
try and get the RO going before you do any other tank w/c.
how old is the house? could have any old lead piping? I have copper pipes in my house and do a partial tap water/ro mix and not had problems. I do run the tap a bit first to get rid of standing water in the pipes.

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
No way sorry to hear this Gee hope you get to the bottom of it ASAP,

Pop down the road and get some water off Bob to do the water changes :whistle:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
That must be totally gutting for you :cry: I really hope you get to the bottom of it soon and don't lose anymore :yes:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
NOOOOOOOOOOO. I remember somone saying they try not to do water changes on a weekend as the water companies normally boost the amount of chemicals they add to combat the extra usage over weekends. Saying that im sure this isnt the first time you have done a water change at the weekend!

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
They are putting **** in the water:wb::wb: I contacted the water company this morning and they told me they had been flushing the system because of a main fracture to pipes 2 miles away.

I told them of what I was going through and they basically said it aint there problem as the water is for human consumption and the chemicals they are putting through the system wont affect humans.

I will leave the w/c,s for a week and also clean my equipment out.

What scares me now is they can flush the system again at any point.

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I told them of what I was going through and they basically said it aint there problem as the water is for human consumption and the chemicals they are putting through the system wont affect humans.
They always say that:wb:

:(:(

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
They are putting **** in the water:wb::wb: I contacted the water company this morning and they told me they had been flushing the system because of a main fracture to pipes 2 miles away.

I will leave the w/c,s for a week and also clean my equipment out.

What scares me now is they can flush the system again at any point.

Cheers

thegeeman
Wasnt it Jo or Irene that has an "agreement" in which the water company lets her know if they are doing something drastic? Might be worth asking them Gee if they would let you know?

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Cant remember exactly but It basically boiled down to over dosing of stuff to kill germs that might have got into the fractured pipeline.

They did take my details and told me they will send a full report.

Cheers

thegeeman