low light small plants

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,id like a list of the best small low light plants please.
would like to add some more plants to my edge and as its a low light tank
and small ish ill need some small plants that don,t need much light.
cheers for any ideas..

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Crpyts are about the best small plant
Indian Fern also hates light

Anubis is quite good but slow growing so will get clogged with Algae quite easy.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Crypts are great when mine filled up my 17 litre shrimp tank I removed them and planted out my 400 litre. Just left a few baby crypts in the 17 litre and gonna wait for them to fill out again. Have them in my 35 litre too.

Strangely grow quicker under less light, must be because they love it.

If you end up with too many crypts pass them onto someone who needs them. Like me.

Crypts spread upwards and stay bunched up unless you separate them yourself so don't cause a problem in small tanks and don't look too big if you leave them alone.

Fortyfoot

Apr 22, 2011
Yorkshire
I find cryptos fine in my low light tanks, which have only got daylight from windows when I am away. I have them in separate pots or bowls as they do not do well with under gravel filters.

Fortyfoot
:hi:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I like Crypts as well. I think Cryptocoryne x willisii is the best all around small one, and comes in either brown or green with nice glossy leaves, C. parva is really small, but tricky. Some of the varieties of Java Fern are much smaller than the type, you could try any of "Windelov", "Trident", "Needle" or "Narrow" as they are all much smaller. Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) or Pygmy Chain Sword Echinodorus tenellus are other small "low light" possibilities.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
ok ive orderd 1x Aquafleur Anubias Nana Bonsai and 1x Aquafleur Cryptocoryne Legroi
from aqua essentials.
my LFS had these too but they looked half dead.