Maidenhead visit

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Went to my nearest maidenhead aquatics today to get a new heater and possibly some corys. They actually had some decent plecs in for a change.

Cactus Pleco=£65 was very <3, first time ive seen one in the flesh.
Orange Spotted Pleco??=£25
Yellow Spotted Pleco( not nuggets)=£25
Orange seam Pleco L106=£21
Rubbernoses(quite dark looking ones)=£15
Albino and regular bns= £7.50( seems very expensive)
Longfin bns=£10
A Panaque( not a royal) not sure on price
Hypancistrus Inspector= not sure on price

Sterbai corys
bronze corys
peppered corys
albino corys
julii corys---yeah ok most likely Trils

Anyway didn't see any corys that made me wanna set up the q tank so bought a piece of sumatra wood instead lol for a fiver

was almost tempted to get a pleco though but resisted.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Not wanting to turn this into a "we love MH" thread but I have to say my local MH is on the whole pretty good. Nice clean tanks well stocked. They dont sale fish until they are happy with them and will also take fish off sale if the are not happy. They hold a good range of cory,s and plecs with lots of other main stream fish. Downside is they are not cheap BUT I am happy to pay good money for a fish I know has been given a very good standard of care.

Cheers

thegeeman

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
The Abns were the same price as the common Bn?The fs i bought my anb was 11 dollars for 1 that's 1 inch compared to the commons that were 1 inch that were sold for 3 dollars.I was there a couple of weeks ago and they had 2 full grown females that were selling for 24 dollars apiece.

Man,those girls gave me goosebumps thinking of a "hook up" with my guy.Breeding might be down the road,not yet at this point.

<3

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The Abns were the same price as the common Bn?
Im presuming so, the regular commons and ABN were in same tanks.

They had a couple of other plecs, one that looked a bit like a regular cf cirrhosus that had some fancy name lol and another bn that was pretty black looking.

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
where is your local maiden head? what was the cactus? im assuming it was a pseudacanthicus of some sort, but which one?

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Yeah come to mind our lfs don't stock many plecs. I guess not much of a market for the more exotics where I live. However I did come across an L168 in the larger (more known) lfs's and behold the LFS around the corner (one could call my second home) decided to get a couple. lol. But don't think much of the employees there ;) *cough* Rabbit *cough* ... Still waiting on my shirt.. lol.. It seems to be all about cichlids in wagga wagga..

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I visited the MH near peterborough a few years ago, was well run.
unfortunately I dont have any near me.
nearest Lfs is sherringham, and hey they had some plecs inthis week
Clown plecs quite small. next nearest is quite good is fakenham, they sell Bns and some of my baby plecs and occasionally get some odd interesting ones. last week had some royal whiptails and a couple of others, nothing to tempt me.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
nope, couldn't afford £65 really:dk:

Plus im pushing it with the stock limits in my tanks lol.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Yeah come to mind our lfs don't stock many plecs. I guess not much of a market for the more exotics where I live. However I did come across an L168 in the larger (more known) lfs's and behold the LFS around the corner (one could call my second home) decided to get a couple. lol. But don't think much of the employees there ;) *cough* Rabbit *cough* ... Still waiting on my shirt.. lol.. It seems to be all about cichlids in wagga wagga..
LOL mate, if i had the demand they would be in stock (and im not big on cichlids to easy to breed).
I hate seeing overseas prices i can guarantee i wouldnt pay under $500 for the stuff you listed lisa:wb:.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:-/ you think its still there? how big was it?

5-6 inches

heres the phone number, give em a ring 01843 597597

btw i am in no way to be held accountable if i got the id wrong:D:D
But im pretty sure its right.

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
If any of you live in South England, it's worth a trip to the Bracknell Maidenhead Aquatics. They have a massive selection of L numbers, including Zebra's (both kinds). Prices are fairly decent as well.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If any of you live in South England, it's worth a trip to the Bracknell Maidenhead Aquatics. They have a massive selection of L numbers, including Zebra's (both kinds). Prices are fairly decent as well.
cool, thanks for that:yes:

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
On my list trip there a few days ago, this is what I remember them having:

Angelicus Pleco (L004)
Loricaria lata (L010)
Gold Nugget (L018) - They have about 100 of these in all kinds and sizes.
Common Pleco (L023)
Golden Line Royal Pleco (L027) - Have all kinds of these as well
Zebra Pleco (L046)
Magnum Pleco (L047)
King Tiger Pleco (L066)
Blue Spot Phantom
Snowball Pleco

There's a lot more, I just have a bad memory haha.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
To join the general Maidenhead love-in, they've just opened a new store at Leekes in Melksham, which is only 10 minutes down the road from me.

I went in sunday, and they had a few L numbers, L270 £20? and at least 2 L"56" (definitely looked like Parancistus "Chubby Plec") they weren't very big, but they looked quite healthy and I think they were £17.50. They migh thave had some others but I didn't notice any others other than BN's, Commons and Gibbis.

They also had some interesting Cichlids, quite a good range including Nannacara taenia (£7.50) and some very smart Apistogramma panduro (£17.50 a pair, spawning size).

Other oddballs I remember were Dwarf Puffer (the really little Indian one) and some freshwater pipefish.

cheers Darrel