Mislabeled Fish in LFS,s

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Whats the worst you have seen?

Went into MH in Swindon and they had on a tank a label showing a pic of a L46 but had crossed out the L46 writing and replaced it with L129. The best bit was the plec was a rubber nose:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

thegeeman

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Whats the worst you have seen?

Went into MH in Swindon and they had on a tank a label showing a pic of a L46 but had crossed out the L46 writing and replaced it with L129. The best bit was the plec was a rubber nose:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

thegeeman
it was a classic FAIL by the fish store :lol:

we also got to see the biggest puffer ever, this thing was mahoosive and looked soooo evil :huh:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
well for me the Invisible fish was the best when a customer ask what do they look like I said “ I don’t know never seen it”

I Convinced her it used reflected light to absorb shaded pigments to reflect the lower light spectrum and remain invisible for up to 24 hours.

Now tell me Pol Pot was wrong?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I am amuse by a local shop in Fakenham, to whom I have sold a number of l270 fry.
every time I go in I explain these are choc zeb L270.... but he has different labels each time.
last week they were peckoltia vitatas. when challenged he said he was only allowed so many lables and l270 was not one of them so this pic looked close..
as he runs the section I fail to understand why he cant use pen and paper... duh!

I

intrepidmax

well MH swindon is an awesome shop and probably one of the best I have been in. and apparently they are about to up their hypancistrus intake. The puffer is massive and £400 if it was for sale but they are building a new tank for it. there is a bigger puffer that is called Ozzy and he is at MH shepperton. there is 2 MH swindon the one at cheney manor isn't up there in my top 10. lol.

ok enough of me rambling on lol. I seen a 333 labelled as a L134 in MH southampton and it was a really poor 333 at that. sunken belly.

when I worked in a fish shop I sold a lump of rock as a stone fish and got away with it......until she brought it back and said it was dead because it never moved. pmsfl.

I

intrepidmax

Just a quick one for you all to have a good laugh at.

I bought a nice little catfish around 2.5 inches long not realising what it was. my nice little pink catfish then ate his way through £500 worth of malawis and a few arrowanas. turns out this monster who is now 14 inches long and lives by himself is a marbled clarius.......I will never make the same mistake again.

Oh by the way I was fully assured that this fish was brilliant for a malawi tank.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
The Claris cat fish is The staple diet of several south East Asian tribes that live along the Mekong.

It is called Bali and a great eat. The main problem is that in the heat fish will become very decomposed, so the trick is once caught they slit the neck and sever the spine this allows the fish to live but it will remain unable to move. They are then placed in baskets of very wet grass. Due to the labyrinth organ the fish can breath air and stay alive

Thus the fish remains fresh and can be sold during the day.

I found it totally discussing when I first came across this practice, until some one reminded me how we keep chickens.

To eat one live is a task that will allow you to never have to prove your courage again.

kampfer

Aug 13, 2009
Singapore
I once bought what was labelled as corydoras robinae in the LFS and when i went home and check,it turn out to be C.orcesi.

I

intrepidmax

I bought a few wild ancistrus that turned out to be L182.....splendid.

ten pound each......bargain.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The most annoying mislabled fish is c.julii, even when you tell shops they are trilis they don't change anything, and who in their right mind would be selling true julii for £4

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
One of my frequented stores was selling a large Leporanthicus triactis L91 as a leopard cactus plec, they insisted the ID was correct and they wouldn't change it, if it had have been right I'd have napped it up at £60.
I bought some Corydoras Blochi at an auction last year, one of the saddle nose types, when they brought them to be they were Corydoras ambiacus, nothing like in shape or markings:wb:

Cheers
Gemma

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
My mate wanted a small plec for his tank and asked for a clown plec that did not grow very big at a LFS sold him a L001 :wb:
Pete

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
After i got done with my chores for the day,Laundry,Dishes,and cleaning the Goldfish tank,i went for a cruise to a shop close to my house but i don't like too much.High turnover of employees,filthy tanks,high prices,but they have some good plecs every once in awhile.

They had some clown plecos marked as Peckoltias.I didn't even bother to mention to the employee figuring they might not be there next week.

:wb:

I eventually went to a store i liked and they had a Zebra pleco for 39.99.Nice fish with a nice price.I like this store for supplies and the owner is very cool and it's close to my house also.

I was just Browsin',didn't reach for the wallet.