Mobile skin.

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
I’m not sure if ‘mobile skin’ is the right term. Some sites/forums have a thing you can switch to if you are using a phone rather than PC which makes life a bit easier.

I was wondering if this would be a possibility?

Would make long night shifts with my Iphone more pleasant. :D

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
hey Sam

Could you point me in the direction of one of the forums that does it. Can you not browse on here at all?
Sean uses an iphone too, i think he can browse ok but not since the snow has been on which im turning off right now

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I'm writing this on my iPod touch and although I can see everything it's a little small. I just saw today that barclays have a mobile version of their site and instead of .com at the end of the address it's .mobi

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
alrighty. Vbulletin doesn't come with any 'themes' for mobiles but ive looked on a site that does addons etc for vb and found a theme. Its installed and should be available to use on a mobile device. As ive only just installed, you guys are the testers:D

So feedback about whether you like it or any problems or bugs would be appreciated.

If no one likes it, it can easily be removed.

btw there is an option on the nav bar on the theme to return to default theme

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
Sorry Lisa but I’m going blind and can’t see where it is! :wb:

BBC News is one that site that uses it.
I can use PP on my phone, but spend ages scrolling.

The mobile skins condense the menus.
So I’d see
New members
News and information
Site suggestions/feedback

Without all the
"Say Hi and introduce yourself
Announcements, news relevant to plecoplanet
Ideas for improving the site and any issues with the forum software.
Issues with staff or other members should be addressed through pm to admin" type bits.
If that makes sense. Some don’t show avatars either.

This might explain it better!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375

But you may have already done all that and I’m just being a plank and can’t see it! :D

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry Lisa but I’m going blind and can’t see where it is! :wb:

BBC News is one that site that uses it.
I can use PP on my phone, but spend ages scrolling.

The mobile skins condense the menus.
So I’d see
New members
News and information
Site suggestions/feedback

Without all the
"Say Hi and introduce yourself
Announcements, news relevant to plecoplanet
Ideas for improving the site and any issues with the forum software.
Issues with staff or other members should be addressed through pm to admin" type bits.
If that makes sense. Some don’t show avatars either.

This might explain it better!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375

But you may have already done all that and I’m just being a plank and can’t see it! :D
lol thats the exact one ive put on:yes:
ill have a look on my phone to see where you set it

Tapatalk is good if you want it for iPhones, not sure if it works on others, it has loads of forums on it, just not many fishkeeping ones, I use that for AVforums(another assion of mine being AV)
Is that for the phone or forum software?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
ok Thanks johnny, ill have a look at that tonight when i have more time.

To change to the mobile theme thats on now, scroll right down to bottom of main forum page, there you will see a little box that says style changer or similar, click that and then pick the theme that says mobile. To change back there is a link on the nav bar as the theme changer box disappears when using the mobile theme.

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
I can now read the forum much more easily. :D
With one exception - the lounge link doesn't take me to the lounge. Not entirely sure where I end up!

Also, it might just be me - but I tried replying to this thread from phone, but it didn't appear on thread.

The reading is heaps easier though, thank you. :D

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
This is tops. I've recently been thinking about a similar thing but wasnt sure whether the forum could support it. Will have to wait till my iphone gets repaired :( ... It's great that the sites changing with the times. Where would fishkeeping be without the internet :S .. Might be an Idea to place it somewhere on the homepage that the site is iphone/mobile friendly, might convince a few more to sign up if they come across it.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The reading is heaps easier though, thank you. :D
No problem:clap::clap:

Might be an Idea to place it somewhere on the homepage that the site is iphone/mobile friendly, might convince a few more to sign up if they come across it.
Good idea Mitch. Ill add it somewhere, will also put a post up in announcements later:yes:

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
I use my iPhone to come on here all the time and don't have any problems. Just double tap on the screen and it zooms in so everything's easily readable.

Paul