Mussel

Doodle

May 4, 2009
Bracknell
Whoa....:)

Ive just put a piece of mussel in the tank and World war 3 broke out,

absolutely mental they went- well the loach and the ruby barbs did.

Ive seen two plecs going for it so far. Not going to be much left in a min.

Any one else or do your pets seem to eat better than you?

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I bought a Tesco bag of frozen seafood once - had muscles, clams, prawns, squid etc.
really good stuff and fish loved all of it, especially the cichlids.
trouble is I dont live near tescos!

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i have used mussels before and found the same as you, all my meat eaters went nuts for it, i do still use chopped mussel on my meat eaters tank. From memory, mussel acts as an appetite stimulant in the same way that garlic does for herbivores/omnivores, so could explain why they go for it so hungrily

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
Whoa....:)

Ive just put a piece of mussel in the tank and World war 3 broke out,

absolutely mental they went- well the loach and the ruby barbs did.

Ive seen two plecs going for it so far. Not going to be much left in a min.

Any one else or do your pets seem to eat better than you?
where did youi get raw fresh mussel from? the only mussel i can recall seeing is the ones in the shells that only open once cooked lol

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
try popping a few bits on a stainless steel fork so it stays in one place?

Also squid rings are a good food but cut the ring first small plecos can get their head jammed in the ring.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
:goodpost: Iv tried shrimp nothing was fussed but will now give some muscles a go, just bought a product here called frozen turtle dinner (like blood worm's) contains a lot of fish meats so ill see how that goes tonight.

ford2

Jun 10, 2009
perth australia
i thought id give this a go for a laugh but all i had in the freezer was some scallops so i thawed a couple out and cut them into 4 pieces and dropped them into my electric yellow tank. well at first not much happened and the bits were floating so i tried to push them down with my finger which made little bits fall off and drift mid tank, well this enticed a couple to give it a try and then all of a sudden "bang" they all went nuts and literally smashed each other to get a bite of these pieces of scallop:woohoo: i even had to put one yellow back into the tank that had jumped out and onto the top of the tank in the frenzy, next time i will put the lid back on before they smell them :whistle:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
i thought id give this a go for a laugh but all i had in the freezer was some scallops so i thawed a couple out and cut them into 4 pieces and dropped them into my electric yellow tank. well at first not much happened and the bits were floating so i tried to push them down with my finger which made little bits fall off and drift mid tank, well this enticed a couple to give it a try and then all of a sudden "bang" they all went nuts and literally smashed each other to get a bite of these pieces of scallop:woohoo: i even had to put one yellow back into the tank that had jumped out and onto the top of the tank in the frenzy, next time i will put the lid back on before they smell them :whistle:
lol