My 5ft planted

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
My 5ft planted Catty heaven MODS please move me to the photo album section

Using a DIY substrate, 2x150w halides with 8000k globes (with 4xT5HO on backup incase a globe blows) on for 6 hours a day over midday, co2 injection controlled by yours truly @3bps 24hrs/day, ehiem 2215, pro aqua 2000lph canister, jäger 300w, dosing Dino pee daily @ 20-30 drops
Fish:
5x Peppermint bristles
6x Albino long fin bristles (breeding)
5x L066
6x Royal whiptails (breeding)
8x threadfin rainbows
8x Spotted blue-eye rainbows
60+ Endlers
15x Rummynose tetras
100+ cherry shrimp
1x apple snail

Plants list
Hygro ribera
lecustrus
willow leaf
temple
pollysperma
Aleranthra pink
luguigia red
lugiugia green
rottulla green
native nadu
luguigia accurata
glosso elatinoids
hottonia palustris
marrifilian native mill foil
valis
lillyopsus
ambulia
java varietys
moss varietys inc pheonix
felix sword
tri colour lotus
And more but buggered if I can't remember them

LATEST PHOTOS

Full tank shot

Dad royal whiptail

pollysperma

rummynose tetras

blury threadfin

general plants

Before it started looking respectable, note that the first photo was taken only 3 weeks after the photo below!

endlers

Sanding back the stand and restaining it

stained

filthy glass, orignally had duct tape around the front for a border of some sort, would love to know who did that, took me hours with goo remoever to get off

2x150W metal halides, 4x T5HO, 2 moon light led's

bracket from bunnings to support the light

first fill with DIY substrate

as it sits now at temp waiting for plants

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
mate that is just well done and great effort. Tank looks good and nice collection of plants and fish. cheers jk :thumbup:

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
yes i know, all the baby endlers hide up in the large valis leaves the left hand rear side, there are 5 black breeding caves in there which are all occupied by either a peppermint or an albino LF, father whiptail is on a batch of eggs on the filter intake, the rummynose just chase each other around the plants all day long in a school, and the cherry shrimp simply blanket the floor. ill get some more photos next week once im home and try capture atleast one of everything.

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
thanks joby, the substrate is actually a formula i put together my self after hours of research. Its made up of

- 2 inches of unwashed river sand (gin gin quartz, a river in western australia not far from my home) this contains alot of minerals and clay
- thin layer of laterite, this is a red clay dirt that is rich in Iron (Fe) found in the tropical parts of northern WA
- thin layer of crushed coral taken from our sandy beaches, this is for the calcium and also it reacts to create calcium carbonate
- 3 inches of fully washed river sand, same as the first layer except intensly washed to get rid of any clay so that it will never cloud the water column, even straight after filling it was clear, and after planting all those plants in one hit it was crystal clear.

if you look closely you can see the colour difference in the washed and unwashed layers, divided by the red laterite layer, the unwashed layer is extremely dark

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
awesome !!! another member with a great wet green thumb ,excellent from 3 weeks ago. Wonder, do you have a colored light ,aqua, in there? looks nice whatever it is.

Georgie

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
amazing job- totally envy your aqua scaping skills. great idea for hanging that light. Cant wait to see updates as it matures. I can never keep stem plants alive for long than 3 months!!

respect and thanks for the eye candy
cc

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
ive removed all the ambulia and pollysperma, they just grew way to quickly for my liking, i was trimming them down every 3rd day, if i left it any longer it jungled on me and became a hectic job trimming it. now i think its alot more manageable. ive also got rid of the grass in the middle and i have spread glossy all over the bottom and now im just waiting for it to thicken.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
A very technical setup but looks the part.

Quite a lot of lighting. What are the benefits off having more powerful lighting over a shorter period rather than lower lighting over say 8-10 hours? Is it to do with you having CO2, do you time the co2 coming on with when you start your lighting? Trying to understand your system, just with you saying your lighting was on over midday. If I make any sense myself!

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
This is my latest addition
Regarding the light, the CO2 comes on at 830am and the lights come on at 9am, the CO2 is shut off at 3pm and the Lights go off at 4pm.
i start the co2 earlier so as to get the co2 amount in the water up and then by 3pm theres enough in the water to last the remaining hour the plants continuing pearling through that hour aswell but i dont want to over do it.

Last edited: