My first Albino BNs continued

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hi guy and girls

Have been dyeing to tell everyone how proud I am to be the mother (not literal ) to about 50 albino common bristnose

I have been atempting to take photo's and share Colleen and Johns (that the BN's parents names) journey, as i have found reading everyone else's so helpful.

Ok so here go's be gentle as I am a virgin to this!

Day One
I had bought some platy's just to add colour to my 180ltr communty tank and of course as Platy do they breed like mad. I have been stuck home due to ill health so decided it would be fun to raise the fry. My partner went out and bought a 200ltr tank with a Flurval U5 filter and heater for £60 - slight over kill for 50 platy fry i know but she had an evil (well not so evil really) plan - she wanted to breed Albino BN's. What made it even better was my LFS said if we could breed them they would buy all we had as they are like gold dust down in norfolk.

I had to put this image of my baby platy as it was so cute - we call him Puck

this is my set up - yes i know it is BASIC to say the least but there is a reason. The little horny devils caught us by mistake and started breeding. The idea was to collect ABN's and let them settle and pair up while the platy fry were growing up. Well they just couldn't wait and pop the the eggs out - they eggs are all called Fin - all of them

Ok - the filter is coverd i n a pair of my mums tights - unused i may add! We did they to stop any escapeeeeee's from being sucked up! There is a breeding box wedged next to that with a air hose for the little ones that got kicked up by mistake. To the right of the tank is another air pump because i wanted to make sure the eggs we're wll and truely oxygenate. Overkill maybe but i thought more was better than less in this case.

The bit that is sectioned off has about 35 Kribensis fry in their - long story short i saved them from a plonker who would have flushed the babies. They are soon to be moved to a new tank.

This is Johns breeding cave that i made - so proud i cut, scopped and boiled it and plonked it in. It took 6 days before they had produced eggs. The only mistake in this was that had i hadn't planned for it to be a breeding cave i hadn't cut the bottom straight which ment the babies could be waffted out the bottom by the dad - hence the breeding box that now has three babies in it. The dad is being fantastic i havent seen him leave the cave, so must be going out for food at night. I put my hands up now i am mad and have made several trips out to see if i could catch him out and about at 3am!

At this point i want to say thanks to Moo who's thread i had read and sent a PM pleading for help after panicing I was doing things wrong.

This is two of my babies I caught after being kicked out - this is at day4, they we're egg's at the time.

This is the breading box - the green ball in their is a turkey baster top! I sucked up a fry still with egg sac, in my rush to get him into the box and not wanting him to fall out of the baster I tiped the baster upside down, the fry falling into the ball and quite happily attaching hisself to it -So i now have a baster with out a ball BUT on the upside it's working out as a good cave for them!

The other thing inside there is a stone, which they don't seem to leave - I put this in there as i couldnt find the suckers that stick the box tot he wall and so had to wedge the box and use the stone to stop it riseing - live and learn!

At day 8 i have just spoted over 50 little wigglers in with the dad and am currently atempting to take pictures without the flash. I will try to keep you posted and hope this has been an intersting read so far.

Day 8 onwards....

John the dad started to kick out the fry about 5 days after they lost their egg sacks - i was so surprised that he actually let them back in again! He would use his tail as a gate and open and close it as needed! how cool is that!

I am happy to say that i have only lost one on the little one's and although this loss is sad, i think for their first time and mine this is a good toll. I hope this count stays as one as the time go's on.

At the start of this log I noted that i had been keeping platy fry with the BN with no problems - well they have left the building with true Elvis style. I noticed that as they Platy started to turn into sub adults they we're nipping on the little BN fry tails! No need for that is there! So within hours my trusty wife had transfered them into a spare tank with the spare filter i leave running in all my tanks just incase of situations like this , using water from the same tank aswell. Little buggers :wb:

Dad at day18 has now left the cocnut breeding cave for good and is having a well earned rest. I dont know if this is normal but his wiskers seem to have got longer! is this a man thing - you know look how big mine are, this means i've done it this many times?

I have not yet managed to get a snap shot of dad but here is mum smiling for the camera.

Fry at 18 days..

Apologies for making this into a new fred but the edit tab disapeared and i couldn't find any information on how to sort it out.

Hope this has been helpful
Also ... PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE could someone help me with uploading images so they appear as the log entired do, not at the end.

p.s can someone help me with how i insert my uploaded photos
AND
sorry for the spelling mistakes in advance

I DID IT ! I DID IT! -I inserted the picture's YAY!

just managed tot ake a photo of John - the dad of my first Albino BN fry

here are some more picture's from day 18;

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum
[IMG]http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2221&stc=1&d=1300615477

Attachments

Last edited:

simonas

Jan 18, 2011
Wirral
happy days

well in I have recently bought what I hope is a pair of these

what behaviour did they display leading up to this?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
behaviour

hi there
thanks for the reply

the male, john wafted his fins for the whole time - over a couple of weeks leading up to them doing the deed.
The female Colleen, kept trying to sit with him but he wouldnt let her.
When he found a breeding cave he liked he cleaned like mad! We thought we owned the first fish with Obessive Compulsive Disorder! After about 5 days of doing the cleaning we found eggs the following morning.

hope that helped :):thumbup:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Cheers moo and everyone. Just thought i'd let you know I was losing about one baby a day since they left the cave. . . I read on a post that it could be a build up of bacteria on the bare bottom so I have now added sand and have stopped losing them. . . Fingers crossed.