My Planted Tank

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Wow, how things have changed since I last posted on here!
Over the last few days I have decided to re-scape the tank and change a few things around. Here are the results. I'm just waiting on my needle leaf Java Fern to arrive.

(That is about 60-70 cardinals I think)

And with the night lights on using my flatmates camera with a 30 second exposure -

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Well I had a huge ech Red rose X Ozelot that I had to remove, but its roots were as large as the base of the tank so I took a blade and cut around the plant leaving about 2ft of root for the plant. Then I took that out, and removed as much gravel as I could from there. Pushed the gravel aside and placed the rocks in place so that the gravel wouldn't go back. Then I added the sand and replanted a few of the crypts.

Boy was I surprised when I removed the wood to add more and found no less than 50 crypts that had multiplied! Then I lust moved the moss covered wood to another tank and moved the 2 pieces of wood with the wondelov to the LHS.
Now I just have to add the narrow leaf fern to the base of the spindly pieces of wood and I should be done I think.

I see my rio ucyali so much more now! They are always on the wood and it's awesome!

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
It was only cloudy for about 30 mins max. More muddy from the fert balls and the debris from around the plant. 3 x 1400 LPH filters work really well haha. I did my normal 30% WC when removing the plant, but never take the fish out unless I absolutely have to.

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
excellent tank!! what is your masters in? any thing realted!?! great update with the fish :)
how did you know I was doing my masters? :eek:hmy:
It's in finance and banking.

Thanks for the nice comments. I will keep adding cardinals to the tank until I have over 100. :woohoo:
Hoping to get some L140 as well. They will look nice with the wood and plants.

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
Hey what type of moss did you go with on the top of those branches Java?...im thinking of doing that same trick for the branches on a aquaone 620T im setting up in my guest bedroom

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
It's still there - I just chopped the leaves down so new leaves come up and I just keep them in check so it doesn't take over. That way I always have the plant living and can grow it out when / if I need to :D