Nano Update

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
You could of just gone for a black background all the way round. What is that blue tube?

I think it would look better without the algae and moss walls do look good. I have algae in my shrimp tank but only leave it in for them to eat.

Your plants look really nice, just get rid of the algae and hide the blue tube.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
but.. but it's my artfully grown natural background!
I agree withPhoenix44 (and Stan) as well. It is an "artfully grown" natural background, and there is no reason at all to remove it, just call it "biofilm" rather than algae.

If you have conditions suitable for plant growth algae will grow.

If you have fry (particularly really small ones) it is actually a useful resource, and the fry will pick at rotifers, protozoans, diatoms etc amongst the "green fuzz".

cheers Darrel

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Palmerston North, New Zealand
I'm going to start taking away some of the algae slowly. There is a black background on the tank so once the algae is gone I can see how I like the tank then.
Worst case scenario ill get bored and start over .lol.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Don't think the algae is disgusting just think it distracts from the plants. A background is a background whether it is algae, moss or plastic you just don't want to take away from your plants as they are nice. I would allow the algae to grow on just the back but not personally keen on the amount on the sides.

Did you grow the algae as a project because you were bored? :) Certainly different and cheaper than moss.

Your plants are healthier than mine and I have to have my lights on for hours to grow a bit of algae for my shrimp. Do you have high nitrates in your water?

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, grew the algae cause I was bored. Will be nice to see the tank without it so ill try that now.

I traditionally Nitrate starve the plants, this tank in particular doesn't get waterchanges but has lots of plants and no Nitrate. I'm using it to test a new range of ferts I am working on so I need to add one nutrient at a time to see the effect, and then a combination of the nutrients.

phoenix44

Jan 15, 2010
Don't add any nitrates. Basically the tank runs at 0ppm nitrate at any point in time. If I ever do add nitrates, and increase the level to say -20ppm; the next day voila! nitrate is back to 0ppm indicating that the plants have consumed the nutrient.
Least that's how I think it works. lol.