New wood, would you?

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
Hi gang today I thought about this after I bought a nice new piece of driftwood.

Would you?:

A) soak the new wood in a bucket to clear some of the tanins out (normal procedure)
Or
B) soak the new wood in your hospital tank, where you don't really care about tanins and you know the water is free of any pathogens.

What due you guys think A) or B) and why?

Cheers

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
just me, but I boil the wood in big pot on the stove , roughly 6hrs ,change water a few times ,till it is clear. The pot is for boiling wood only now :). It used to be for cooking lobsters-but I abhor doing that so the pot is ruined:dk:

See what the other members do , perhaps better ideas.
Georgie

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I would go for A, add some multifix and conditioner as well and leave for 7days. Reason is that you are then not putting your hospital tank in jeopardy as well. cheers jk

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
also the benefit of leaving in a bucket is all of the micro organisms and algae that build up for feeding some plecs. cheers jk :thumbup:

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I personally don't do either...I always wash it well under the tap to clear away any stowaways that may have taken residence in the wood, then place it directly to the tank, weighting it down when necessary...I find the plecos love giving it a good clean and I have never lost fish doing this...I believe that tannins make up part of the fishes natural habitat so I tend to let it fade naturally due to water changes...I seem to recall a similar thread many years ago on PF about boiling the wood and Shane (I believe) posted back that boiling the wood wiped out some of the natural goodness that was beneficial to the plecos digestive system...Some of the PF members may recall the thread and correct me if I am wrong.

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
I clean mine with a high pressure hose, boil it if possible, soak it dry it out and soak it again. Often wood can contain mud and other organisms. Works for me and I have lots in my tanks. I found a piece with two natural cave/ tunnels in it. My fish love it.

Last edited:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I personally don't do either...I always wash it well under the tap to clear away any stowaways that may have taken residence in the wood, then place it directly to the tank, weighting it down when necessary...I find the plecos love giving it a good clean and I have never lost fish doing this...I believe that tannins make up part of the fishes natural habitat so I tend to let it fade naturally due to water changes...I seem to recall a similar thread many years ago on PF about boiling the wood and Shane (I believe) posted back that boiling the wood wiped out some of the natural goodness that was beneficial to the plecos digestive system...Some of the PF members may recall the thread and correct me if I am wrong.
I agree but depends on the fish the PH will drop and the water will become quite acidic depending on the wood type

Regards Bob

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I agree but depends on the fish the PH will drop and the water will become quite acidic depending on the wood type

Regards Bob
You are correct on that Bob, but I generally find with reg water changes and an eye kept on ph, especially in tanks with a lot of wood, a small portion of crushed cockleshell in a bag, placed in the filter can keep the Ph in a stable state.

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
Interesting thanks for all your advice gang... I deff don't want to break in the new wood in my community tank so I'll just keep doing the bucket method... But a great point has been made by saying that tannins are part of the normal habitat.

gailawall

Apr 28, 2011
Florida
So I have Discus. I'd like more acidic water. What wood do you think would help with that. BTW, My Discus and Plecos are together.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I am a bit like Derek n Matt, I pour boiling water over it mainly to kill any snail eggs, and plonk it in, If it is a new bit ie a floater, I soak in a tub outside till it sinks ...

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
Thanks guys ...I guess I'll just keep doing the same routine in buckets and hot water...your right why risk the hospital tank.....cheers

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Same as Derek (DMac), if it will sink I put it straight in. If I want to store it for long term use I keep it dry, but if I think I'm going to need it within the next few months I put it in the pond (fish free) until I need it. I don't find that the wood tends to get snail eggs on it (loads of Pond Snails and Keeled Ramshorn's in the pond) and I look at any Asellus, algae, fungi etc that end up in the tank as a bonus.

cheers Darrel