nice suprise -eggs

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I had given up on my gold stripes ever breeding again!
She would often try and get in his cave but he would not let her.
eventually I moved them into my big 5ft with big plecs etc to make better use of their tank.
when I got back from holiday I wondered why the adult geos would not leave the mouth of a small slate cave, so I took it out.
I put cave and dad into big frysave, but he would not go back in the cave so after several hours I took him out and tipped the eggs out
as I was worried he would eat them, which I am sure he has done on other occasions whan disturbed.

they look to be a 2 or 3 days old as can see a small white line of young developing.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
about time they started breeding agian, really nice pic of the egg, hopefully you can get some more shots like that as they develope

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well still have some, but struggling!!
these eggs have very thin shells (maybe why he has failed in the past?)
there is no way they would cope in an egg tumbler.

several ehhs fungused and several broken.
you can see an egg in bottom right that has broken and the yoke is seeping out.
todays pic:

the sticky yoke has encouraged growth of small planaria = little white worms almost too small to see, or else the planaria are making holes on the egg cases?

so have now added two baby guppies into the fry tank to eat the worms...

the embros left dont seem to have grown much! maybe they are dead now.

lets see what tomorrow brings..

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
getting worse today
yuk,
will have to try and separate some and clean a bit, but so hard with these soft egg shells
worms all gone so have taken guppies out for now.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Doesn't look very promising, you could try Red cherry shrimps and/or MTS to clean the eggs, Ingo Seidel recommends MTS in "the back to nature guide to L....".

Shrimp reference here, have a look at the posts by Larry Waybright ("Apistomaster") and Dean Hodnett.

I've also used MTS and Asellus (Water Louse), (before I had shrimps).

cheers Darrel

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Sorry to hear this Irene.

I often see egg shell in my breeding tanks when the male is on eggs. I presume that he is removing the infertile eggs in order to keep fungus away from the goods eggs. I also wonder if light causes a problem to the eggs because the last time I had success with hatching eggs was my 183,s last year. The male kicked the eggs out on day 1 so I put them in a trap. The tank is always in darkness and also covered with a towel. All 60 eggs hatched and at no point did I have any fungus. If I find eggs out of the cave in my hypan tanks and put them in a trap they hardly ever make it to the hatching stage because of fungus. Like I said the only difference between set ups is the Hypan tanks have a little bit of light.

That said, Maybe they are kicked out for a reason

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thanks, they wernt kicked out - I tipped them out or the geos would have taken them.
anyway all dead now !!
so will take parents out of geo tank and see if will brerd again.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Congratulations Irene
Unlucky with the eggs, these things happen.

Since they have started breeding and your giving them their tank back, they will get back to it again :D

Any pictures of the adults ?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thanks, but dont know much about M-green, and if it harms the filter bacteria?
so prefer shrimp idea.
anyway will not parents back together for a few more days yes as need to re-home some geo fry first.