Noticed fish "flicking"

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Hi all, after some help/advice.

Have noticed over the last few days a number of my fish "flicking/rubbing" on rocks/wood/plants. Not constantly just occasionally, but its not something I've noticed before.

Tank is Jewel 180 with standard internal filter. Gravel substrate, wood, rocks, lots of plants. Ammonia/Nitrite 0, Nitrate never above 10. pH 7-7.5
Stock. 3 x Small Angels, 2 x Blue Rams, Male Swordtail, Sailfin Molly, 9 x guppies (3m/6f), 3 x Red Phantom Tetra, 4 x Cory Habrosus, 1 x BN and 1 x Clown Plec. Unknown numbers of cherry Shrimp and one lone amano shrimp, and two apple snails.
Tanks been running since mid Dec, upgrade from 60 litre

Fish flicking that i've seen so far, couple of the guppies, the blue rams and the swordtail. No external symptoms that I can see, no spots etc.

Spotted on the filter housing last night a couple of tiny white "worms". Any suggestions what these are and whats may be causing he "flicking"
thanks
Steve

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
any tiny white spots on any of the effected fish?
the worms may be the problem, or may just be planaria or something

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Hi Brian, no cant see anything on the fish, will check again tonight.
Worms were probably 5mm long, saw maybe half a dozen on casing of the filter.

Oh by the way, the cherries have been busy.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Were all the fish what you had previously, no new ones?

Are they flicking on the body or up near the gills?
How often do you reckon they are flicking?
Have you been overfeeding?

Could you get a pic of the worms? often detritus worms are misidentified as planaria, detritua worms are fairly harmless but planaria can be a risk to the shrimps from what ive read.

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Were all the fish what you had previously, no new ones?

Are they flicking on the body or up near the gills?
How often do you reckon they are flicking?
Have you been overfeeding?

Could you get a pic of the worms? often detritus worms are misidentified as planaria, detritua worms are fairly harmless but planaria can be a risk to the shrimps from what ive read.
Clown Plec went in just before Xmas and 5 guppies were added first week of Jan, rest of them were from old tank. Will need to watch them again tonight but pretty sure it was around the gills they are flicking will need to see tonight how often each fish is flicking.
Dont think will be able to get a picture, our old 5mgp camara will not focus on anything that small.
Usually feed them once a day either Tetra Prima or Hikari Micro pellets, tiny pinch at a time and watch them eat, repeating for 2/3 mins. They get frozen bloodworm once a week, I put cucumber/courgette in every other evening and remove the following evening and drop in 2 hikari algae wafers after lights out on the days they dont get veg.
The worms were white about 5mm long and very thin.

Just thought - Only thing added since beginning of Jan is three pieces of bogwood, but they were dry not from another tank.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Do they eat all the bloodworms?
Is the filter running efficiently?
ammonia is def on 0?

When was the last water change and did you notice anyone flicking before it? if no, do you warm the new water up before adding to tank?
Where did the wood come from? a lot of bugs etc can survive being dried out for a period of time.

Do the gills look normal coloured and are they breathing normally?

Sorry about all the questions but its either a problem with the water or possibly parasites of some sort ie flukes or ich that isn't showing yet.

Just to add, i would give the whole tank a fasting day every week:yes:

Moving to health forum

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Do they eat all the bloodworms?
Is the filter running efficiently?
ammonia is def on 0?

When was the last water change and did you notice anyone flicking before it? if no, do you warm the new water up before adding to tank?
Where did the wood come from? a lot of bugs etc can survive being dried out for a period of time.

Do the gills look normal coloured and are they breathing normally?

Sorry about all the questions but its either a problem with the water or possibly parasites of some sort ie flukes or ich that isn't showing yet.

Just to add, i would give the whole tank a fasting day every week:yes:

Moving to health forum
Right here goes lol

Blood worms are dropped in a few at a time to make sure they all get eaten.
Filter flowing fine, clean the filter wool at the top every couple of days
Just done 2 ammonia tests both totally clear.
40% water change last night, with treated temp matched water.
Were flicking Saturday evening.
Wood came from MA Teignmouth.
All fish look fine, no signs of spots, no redness on gills. All active and breathing normally, no gasping at surface.
Been watching them for last hour (nothing unusual there) and to be honest I haven't seen any flicking.

Also no sign of any worms on the filter either.
thanks
Steve

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lol ok:)

Keep an eye on them over the next few days, and do some extra water changes if you can and gravel cleans:yes:

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Hi Again, noticed last night a few fish "flicking" again. Have been doing twice weekly 30-40% water changes and gravel vacs, been testing twice weekly Ammonia/Nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10 pH 7-7.5. After watching carefully its the gill area they seem to be rubbing, could it possibly be gill flukes? If so can anybody recommend a good treatment thats safe with the stock listed in first post.
thanks
Steve

ps no signs of any external problems - white spot etc.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Gill flukes are one of the hardest to treat, flubenol may work but can be hit and miss(its wormer plus) BUT with flukes they would be flicking all the time and also likely to be breathing heavier.

Of all the meds available though, i would say wormer plus is the safest and least toxic, and if you do need to treat then i would try that one first.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Gill flukes are one of the hardest to treat, flubenol may work but can be hit and miss(its wormer plus) BUT with flukes they would be flicking all the time and also likely to be breathing heavier.

Of all the meds available though, i would say wormer plus is the safest and least toxic, and if you do need to treat then i would try that one first.
agreed, its not dear and does no harm to the fish at all so worth a shot anyway