opinions please

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
I currently have a hailea external filter(came with the tank)and tbh i dont think its up to the job.The flow from the spray bar seems really weak.So i was thinking of replacing it with a better well known model.I was wondering if once i got the new one matured and set up,wether it would be viable to use the old 1 as a pump for draining the tank ie water changes,by attaching a hose to the outlet.I dont mind the refilling its the syphoning that i cant be doing with lol.Look forward to any opinionsB-)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Most external filters are not self priming meaning that they don't suck water in, just pump it out. Thus, you'd still need to start a siphon to the filter prior to pumping the water out. Also, most pumps used in filters are not very powerful thus the distance they pump & the height at which they pump is limited. However if these issues can be addressed & are not a problem than there is no reason you couldn't do what you'd like.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
How much room do you have to play with? as Lornek8 states you would have to manually prime the filter everytime, unless, if you have the room, its possible you could leave the filter in situ, connect the hose to the outlet and raise it from the pump to above water level so it doesn't drain the tank when switched off, then leave it primed. Now everytime you want to do a W/C just switch on the filter and it will start up as normal and pump the water out :D
Haven't seen the make of filter your talking about but if it has a tap or lock like the fluval on the inlet/outlet then you could stop the flow there so you didn't have to keep the draining hose attached all the time to the outlet.
I just use a gravel vac as i like to hoover the poop out at the same time and most of them you can get started without having to suck on the end just by bouncing the vac section at the surface, or you can always put the whole vac in to get the air out, place a finger over the end of the outlet and let it go when over the bucket to start the syphon :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
you could keep the filter and add a second one, that way you have a backup. if you want more water movement then internal ones can have more oomph.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
How much room do you have to play with? as Lornek8 states you would have to manually prime the filter everytime, unless, if you have the room, its possible you could leave the filter in situ, connect the hose to the outlet and raise it from the pump to above water level so it doesn't drain the tank when switched off, then leave it primed. Now everytime you want to do a W/C just switch on the filter and it will start up as normal and pump the water out :D
Haven't seen the make of filter your talking about but if it has a tap or lock like the fluval on the inlet/outlet then you could stop the flow there so you didn't have to keep the draining hose attached all the time to the outlet.
I just use a gravel vac as i like to hoover the poop out at the same time and most of them you can get started without having to suck on the end just by bouncing the vac section at the surface, or you can always put the whole vac in to get the air out, place a finger over the end of the outlet and let it go when over the bucket to start the syphon :thumbup:
:goodpost:Yes that was the plan,leave in situ and not have to reprime.Yes it has a lock that stops the flow once disconnected.Hmm hadnt considered the need to vac lol.I have 2 different vacs and tbh i havent managed to get either of them started without sucking.