Opinions welcome

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Having had my 180L tank cycled for 3 months now and re introduced my female bronze cory plus five more to keep her company, also three swordtails, I plan to introduce a pair of Blue Acara's to hopefully breed, and that will be all in this tank except I would however like to have a plec no bigger than 4"-6", PH is 7.6, 18dKH hardness and temp 25C, I have done some searching and come up with this choice.. Prince Tiger (L377 LDA18) Leopard Frog (L134) and the Common Bristlenose, also is it fair to keep one on it's own or would 2 be better, All comments welcome good or bad, Thanks :)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I think only the Bristlenose, purely because the water is very hard (has a lot of carbonate buffering) and commercially bred BN's tend to be quite tolerant of sub-optimal water.

Can you get a less hard water supply? our tap water is like that, but I use rain water to lower the hardness. It's not really ideal for the Cories either (although again the same as for the BN applies).

Blue Acaras will probably be all right, although it depends where they originated, Firemouths (or other Thorichthys sp.) might be better as a more spawning option, as most CA cichlids come from very hard water.

cheers Darrel

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
the BNs will help keep your glass and rocks clean and you will see more of him the others would probably hide a lot.
I agree that anything more special would like ph below 7 and more rain water in the tank.

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Hi all,
I think only the Bristlenose, purely because the water is very hard (has a lot of carbonate buffering) and commercially bred BN's tend to be quite tolerant of sub-optimal water.

Can you get a less hard water supply? our tap water is like that, but I use rain water to lower the hardness. It's not really ideal for the Cories either (although again the same as for the BN applies).

Blue Acaras will probably be all right, although it depends where they originated, Firemouths (or other Thorichthys sp.) might be better as a more spawning option, as most CA cichlids come from very hard water.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, I was leaning towards the bristlenose myself, the tank has been set up for the Acara's, I looked at fish that would suit my water conditions rather than doing adjustments with chemicals etc and have always liked Acara's, Rain water maybe another option but I would only be able to put a water butt at the front of my house due to an extension and it might look a bit unsightly, I have had the female corry for 6 years and she regularly deposits eggs on the side of the tank so she's probably got use to the slight hardness, so Bristlenose it is then, thanks for the reply.:D

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
the BNs will help keep your glass and rocks clean and you will see more of him the others would probably hide a lot.
I agree that anything more special would like ph below 7 and more rain water in the tank.
Thanks Irene, I must admit I did have a Prince Tiger some years ago and like you say he was a bit elusive.:yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
L144 which is the black eyed yellow bristlenose, always tank bred so more adaptable to different water parameters would also be a good choice, very pretty and eats algae as much as a common bn does.