Panic on !!

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi,

Just getting some fish ready to ship tonight and have tipped an L260 out of it's cave .......... followed by several fry !! I am absolutely astonished, as I never witnessed any courting behaviour what so ever.

I have been growing this group on for almost a year and have some Electric Blue Jack Dempsey young in the tank with them. I could really kick myself as the escapees were soon gobbled up. I have around seven left in the cave.

Question..... Do I put the young in a breeding trap on their own, or would it be better to put dad in there too ? I'm worried that dad may turn cannibal after being disturbed.

I just can't get my head round this, as I usually check first ....... bleedin typical !

All advice greatly appreciated.
Elaine

PS : I'm off for a coffee, to calm down LOL !

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks for the quick replies guys !

I'll go and do that know. I've been watching him, and he has shown little interest in them. Must say, it's hardly surprising since he was so unceremoniously tipped out of his cave ...... LOL !

Won't be doing that again !

Now that I've gotten over the surprise, I'm really quite chuffed !

Cheers
Elaine

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
congrats on the spawn Elaine :clap: hope you know which is the mum and dad so you can bag them up ready to post to me lol :lol:

They will do fine in a trap as said :yes:

let me know if you want to hold off on posting them, send me a pm :thumbup:
Your fish are in transit will be with you in the morning.

kev

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks for all the kind words !

Kev - Just on my way to PO now, will be with you tomorrow.
I haven't got a clue who mum is, never noticed much in the way of courtship.
The afternoon I've had, I'll settle for bagging L260's ..... LOL !

Speak later.
Elaine

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Thanks for all the kind words !

Kev - Just on my way to PO now, will be with you tomorrow.
I haven't got a clue who mum is, never noticed much in the way of courtship.
The afternoon I've had, I'll settle for bagging L260's ..... LOL !

Speak later.
Elaine
ok cheers Elaine, ill text you when they arrive.

strange you didnt notice anything, but great news anyway :clap:

kev

I

intrepidmax

Lmao Kev i didnt think you had any tank space left.......thing is how are ya gonna be able to tell the young 260 from the young 411 if they are all in the same grow out tank?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Thats easy Max. The 411,s are the manky looking things:lol::lol::lol::lol:

thegeeman
ignore Mr.G, ive learned too by now

L411 & L260 fry are quite different and they will be kept in seperate tanks anyway, its amazing how you can find room for Hypans if you really have too lol

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Calm is restored ..LOL !

Cave with remaining fry is in fry saver, and dad is back in tank, As for mum, who know's ?
I had two sharing a cave a short time ago, and became quite hopeful .... then nothing. This afternoon's discovery was a different male in a different cave. She must have been in and out sharpish, because I never noticed two in this cave, and I usually have a bit of a head count every day.

Anyway, I'm well pleased with the few fry I have. Putting them up for sale must have done the trick ...LOL !

Big thanks to everyone who helped out.

Cheers
Elaine.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi ,

Everything's settled down now. I've got the fry saver properly set up with sponge filter and air stone, so I'm a lot happier with it. I have 8 fry, 6 scooting about the saver and 2 still in the cave.

They are quite black and white, with only a little egg sack still visible. Any ideas on how old they could be ? I lost a few into the tank, so there could have been around a dozen or so. Is this about the normal for a first spawn with Queens ?

Cheers
Elaine

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hi ,

Everything's settled down now. I've got the fry saver properly set up with sponge filter and air stone, so I'm a lot happier with it. I have 8 fry, 6 scooting about the saver and 2 still in the cave.

They are quite black and white, with only a little egg sack still visible. Any ideas on how old they could be ? I lost a few into the tank, so there could have been around a dozen or so. Is this about the normal for a first spawn with Queens ?

Cheers
Elaine
My guess is around 4/5 days old if the still have abit of sac left. First spawns for me were between 8 and 10 so a dozen is about right. Mine now probuce between 10 and 15 and are on the 7/8th spawn.

You are right about the colours of them Elaine, Far better than their second rate cousins :lol:

Cheers

thegeeman

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks geeman,

I'm pleased everything seems to be as it should. Just hope I can grow them on now, without loosing too many !

Much appreciated
Elaine