PH problems

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
you really need to know what your kh is, its important to know what is causing the ph to crash, simply altering the ph may mask whats going on, or even make it worse

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Her ph after being raised was 7.1.
Im absolutly stumped as to what it could be substrate seems to be a sand silicate mix nothing that would adjust the ph.
Phosphates may be a bit high?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
does it say 60 what?
KH is normally measure in DKH (degree Karbonate hardness), but i dont know if that even goes as high as 60.
even really really hard water tends to be under 20 dkh

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
60 ppm of kh is 3.36 dkh.
is this reading after you've added a buffer to get the ph up?
as it is the dkh is a tad low, if it was even lower before buffering, then that is why your ph has crashed

frankie4

Apr 24, 2009
NSW
the book says to drop one in at a time and stop when it turns from blue to yellow which was 6 drops and times that by 10 and this 'determins the carbonate hardness in mg/L (ppm) as calcium carbonate (CaC03)

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Ok from what i understand your ph has crashed due to not having a high hardness.
Where you live it would make sence as the treatment your water goes under if any would be absolute minimal.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
yep, there is little to no buffering capacity, you will need to increase the dKH to at least 5 (90 ppm)

even higher preferably

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate of Soda) can be used to increase it (make sure there are no nasty additives)
1 level teaspoon of baking soda in 100ltrs of water will increase it by 2dkh, its not advised to increase by more than 2 dkh in any 24hr period. mix it with water in a jug then add it to the tank

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
carbonate hardness is the buffering capacity of the water, its ability to hold an alkali if you like, with no buffering capacity, it cannot hold any alkalinity and so the ph crashes.

i dont understand all the science behind it all but i think thats it, simply put

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Yup Scatz is right, i have a really low Kh and buffer mine with Bicarbonate of Soda unless id have a Ph crash.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Please be careful when increasing kh, it will also push your ph up.

I have very soft tap water, ph 7.6, kh 1 & gh 1, out of the tap and in my storage tanks, but my tanks settle at around ph7, kh 1 & gh 1.
When i have tried to increase the kh of my tap water to get some decent buffering in it, i would have been happy with a kh of 3, but it pushed my ph up to just over 8.
I also tried to get a kh of 2 with my tap water, giving it some buffering, but the ph settled around 7.6 in my tanks.

The best thing i have found if you have very soft water is not to stock too a tank too heavily, and give your tank a small daily water change, really just cleaning poo out of the tank and replacing the missing water.

If i have a heavily stocked tank where i am feeding more often, ie, with fry in the tank (or big poo'ers), i do daily water changes, making sure i clean any poo in the tank.

It is not ideal, but it is what i have found with my soft water, and i want to breed my fish,and a high ph will not help with that, so i do daily water changes.

Last edited: