Phosphates

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I have quite high phosphates in my tap water. Will it be a problem in a planted nano with co2?, no shrimps etc at first

Do have other options
Could use 50/50 tap/ro
or a phosphate remover:dk:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
the Phos will act as a plant food

But will also feed algae, once the Co2 kicks the algae will go it. Well did in my C02 tank, I think it is due to the way the Co2 alters the waters Kh.

U cant remove phos with a R/O unit or a HMA unit.

If you have high pos it is due to either farming run off ie sheep dips or plastic factorys in the area .

They do add it to the water to line the pipe.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
U cant remove phos with a R/O unit or a HMA unit.
ah ok, wasn't sure on that.

If you have high pos it is due to either farming run off ie sheep dips or plastic factorys in the area .

They do add it to the water to line the pipe.
nice.
i expect the ferts for the tank will contain some phosphates, so may be worth getting or trying to get one that doesn't:dk:

Ill see how it goes then with just the tap water and co2 etc:yes:

Thanks Bob

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
In a small tank like that try using liquid CO2 from the outset, will help reduce the chances of algae getting a hold

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I ordered the £9.99 cheapo kit from AE but will have the CO2 running same day as plants go in:yes:

2wheelsx2

Dec 21, 2009
Burnaby, BC, Canada
If you have phosphates out of the tap and you're using CO2, you're set. Just dose nitrates (or if you have a heavy enough fish load, you don't even need to), and supply potassium, Mg, Ca, and trace elements and you're good to go.