pimafix/melafix with eggs?

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Not sure if this should be in health or breeding but here goes...
My pair of longfin bn's spawned today :clap: but another bn male decided to boot the male out of the cave and sit on his eggs, the longfin male was going frantic but eventually seemed to admit defeat. A few hours later I came home to find the longfin back on his eggs but he looks worse for ware with split fins and grazing down one side so he obviously decided to fight for his eggs. Sould it be ok to use melafix or pimafix with eggs present or will it be best to monitor things, apart from looking tatty the male's still full of himself and the other male has been removed from the tank to avoid any more trouble.

Cheers
Gemma

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
This is Quite interesting would like to see what people say i lost a L182 spawn earlier this week that was in a breeding trap (male Kicked eggs) and the eggs seemed to be ok but then the fry inside the eggs started turning white a lot hatched but where white and died i thought it was fungus but i was using Melafix and Primafix at the time so will be interesting to know if it was what caused the fry to die or if it was Fungus like i thought

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You need to add extra aeration with these as it has been known for them to take out a lot of oxygen especially on the initial dose.

Also could be wrong but i think Irene has used primafix for stopping fungus on eggs.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
My male is much more badly injured than I thought, he has damage down both sides of his body and all his fins are torn so I've dosed the tank with both pimafix and melfix since it's ok to use them together and the tank does have decent aeration. He's acting as though nothing is wrong but he looks a state, bless him. I'll just have to see what happens with the eggs, it's his first spawn so I'll just have to see how he and the eggs get on.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
After that sort of harassment and damage im quite surprised he went back but more to the point with this sort of parenting if this batch of eggs fails you'll have more in a fortnight :lol:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
My friends son who has learning difficulties once copied me and added a whole bottle of Melafix to a tank once this tank contained a group of B/n,s with eggs. every thing was ok

I just did a few 25% water changes.

Regards Bob