Please help sexing clowns

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i will have to be honest here. It is a pity that you had the perfect opportunity to take clear, in focus shots of the Ls when you had them out of the water. Need shot from top, side and bottom of each individual fish and in water and they must be clear shots in focus. I cannot tell from your shots , as they are all out of focus, 2fish touching each other etc. sorry. Try and get new shots. cheers jk :thumbup:

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
sorry i tried to get solid shots here is some again a little clearer but its hard to get shots from underneath.

Attachments

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
Awesome those were my thoughts exactly do you think the male is old enough to mate yet he seems so small

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Hi Travis

I have had clowns for a long time and I can tell you that BigBird is correct.

With clowns females are much broader when in breeding condition and their shape resembles an almond with a much thiner tail.

Males have the eyes closer together flatter snouts and taper from head to tail,
another dead giveaway is the hairy tail, if your fishy has a heary butt, then its a boy for sure. females are quite bald :).

Hope this helps

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
Yes that helps a lot thank you. Any tips on breeding them? Should I have them by themselves? What size tank do they think would need for them 2 and maybe 1 more female

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
each person will have a different view. mine is keep all ls seperate and use a 3ft tank. i also use dither fish like cardinal or rummy nose tetras. offer them 2-3 caves each pointing in a different location to give the male an option and i use silica sand as a base. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Hi Travis.

I have managed to get mine breeding, however i am having issues keeping the fry alive.

to get them breeding is actually quite easy, all you need is loads of driftwood of different hardness, some current which a powerhead can provide, mine is 6000 L/H Temp of 28/9C
At least 1 cave per fish, including females so they have a choice, my caves have a diameter of 22MM entrance and are about 5.5 inch deep and also gave them some caves with a bigger entrance for a choice, 32mm.

I have 4 couples in my colony but i reckon you don't need anywhere near that many, 4 females and 2 males is perfect.

I feed mine Courgette, Jmc catfish pellets Tetra algae wafers and mango as a treat , however i've been advised to withhold the JMC pellets if there is fry in the tank, they have 43% protein content and might bloat the fry, that should be used only to condition the females into breeding condition.

Tank Size is ok from 100 L on, mine is a 3 foot 180 L jewel vision.

Try and keep as few individuals in the tank as possible, so the tank doesn't get dirty as much and no other L- numbers mixed in as to not disturb the parents.

Best way to get them breading is drop their food every night and leave them to it, never peek inside the caves and keep up regular water change of 20/30% every week to 2 weeks.

Regarding gravel vacuuming, it is important to keep the tank in top condition but with so much wood in the tank is very hard to do gravel vac, so many people just don't do it, however if you keep up with regular water changes and filter maintenance it should be fine.

If there is anything else you need to know just ask, I have had many kind people from this forum helping me out, Brengum, Bigbird, Yalo5t, Rpp1973 etc and I know how much it helped.

PS: Rpp1973 Makes some nice Oak caves, Drop him a pm if you like, got some of mine from him and made the others.

Good luck

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
Ok so i just got a 55g that im going to get cleaned up and cycled. Ill put a lot of driftwood and caves in there. What do you mean by soft and hard wood? And i have hikari algae wafers an hikari sinking protein pellets and i feed zuchinni and sweet potato. Do you think thats a good diet? Ill probably put a thin layer of sand and maybe put a small school of rummy nose would that be ok?

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sound like a great set up indeed. well done on doing the research. Soft and hard wood is the reference to wood that breaks up easier to eat or hard . IE Marpati is hard wood, which usually Ls cant nibble on. I would stick to soft wood. Your LFS would know the difference. But i like the set up with caves, wood ,sand and rummy nose, very nice look forward to a picture. cheers :thumbup:

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
So i have the whole set up just waiting on my caves. Then a couple more clowns. I got a circulation pump rated at 1300gph do you think thats enough current for the 55g?

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
So I picked up 5 more clowns today and need help sexing them. There should be 4 pictures of each one and there is a total of 5 plecos. I tried to get the best pictures I could but if they arent good enough just let me know and I will try again.

Attachments

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
Any help is appreciated i think the 1st is a female, the 2nd a male, the 3rd a female, and the 5th a male and again idk about the 4th

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
None of them? They look very similar to the first set of pics but i have no idea how old they are and they are all around 2 inches

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Dear Travis

Fear Not, they are definitely L-104 Panaque Maccus, in regards to sexing, they seem a bit young with a few exceptions, are the 1st line top to bottom 1 pleco then second line top to bottom another and so on? please advise and if that is the case i can have a go at sexing them.

Regards

Travis3875

Jun 28, 2014
Colorado
Ok cool thank you very much and they all come up in one line for me but if u can see the photo number they should be in order 1st pleco; 37,38,39,40. 2nd pleco; 41,43,44,45. And so on. I use an app for the forum maybe thats why if i need to go to the main website to check i can