Pleco Feeding Behavior Changes.

peppermint_tango

Dec 9, 2015
Newport
I have three small plecos (1 x 3 months old 2 x 6 weeks old) in a new 20gln tank setup, Flaval 106 canister pump, 2 x airstones, pH 7.4, temp 27C

Feeding:
Day #1: 2 x Hikari wafers, all eaten
Day #2: Blanched zucchini, skin only eaten
Day #3: 3 x Hakari wafers, some eaten but looks like at least one wafer was destroyed and spread about the floor of the tank
Day #4: Blanched zucchini, not touched
Day #5: 2 x Hikari wafers not eaten but destroyed

The plecos used to attach themselves to the side of the old tank they came from and slide around the walls feeding.
Now they just sit at the bottom of the tank hiding under logs or out in the open.

Obviously something is not to their liking.

Any thoughts/ideas as I'll a bit worried about them.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
They might just be getting used to the new tank, but I'm always worried if plecs are sitting out in the open when the lights are one.

It is possibly a water quality issue. It might be the filter isn't sufficiently cycled? If you have access to floating plants (and the tank has a suitable light?) then they would help with water quality.

If you can't use plants, then your best bet would be to change more water and use a water conditioner like "Prime" that de-activates ammonia.

cheers Darrel

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
If those are Hikari algae wafers they are huge. For small plecos, one would be sufficient and a little bit of zucchini unblanched. How about a little pinch of some sort of flake as well just to round out the diet?

peppermint_tango

Dec 9, 2015
Newport
dw1305:

Thanks for your comments.
The water looks like it was a major factor as I removed the plecos into another cycled tank and they immediately started to move around again on the sides of the tank.

Brengun:

I'll try your feeding suggestion tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.