pleco stop eating

ForBlacky

May 27, 2010
Jakarta
Hi all!

I have one common pleco...he's originally black. But since 2 days ago, he turns pale but still swims around and eats. Yesterday I put him in a quarantine tank and put methylene blue in it.

Today he stops eating and just lay on the bottom of the tank. He seems so week and is more pale than yesterday.

I'm so sad :cry:

-nic-

PS: I tried to add a pic but it failed...I don't know why.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey

How much meth blue did you add? I would consider refilling the qt with tank water and remove the meth blue water.
How old is the common?
How is his breathing? normal, faster than normal, slower?
what are the tank parameters in the original tank?

Is your photo on your computer or hosted somewhere?
if on computer, goto the gallery link on the navbar and click on upload, make sure the photo is smaller then 550kb. If you get it in the gallery we can view it.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, I avoid meth blue as it can cause lots of other problems and kills the bacteria in the filter so you then get nitrites in the tank. So I would agree with above and take most of the water out, refil partly with fresh water and some from his original tank.
now as to why he has turned pale, could be a number of factors.
was he really black or just dark brown? do you know what sort of plec he is? if not a pic would really help. Some types of plec do change colour.

ForBlacky

May 27, 2010
Jakarta
My mistake

He died 4 days ago. Thank you for trying to help.

After reading some threads in this forum, I think it must be because I gave him too less vegetables :wb:

Algae, pellets, and just a few bloodworms really aren't enough for a pleco. His immune system dropped.

-nic-

I know it's too late but this is Blacky:

Last edited: