Plecos or Monsters?

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
I guess most of us after a while get to the stage where MTS becomes ridiculous and too many tanks becomes too expensive.
So the other option if space allows is to get the biggest tank you can afford and put all your stock in one tank.
Big Glass tanks are Hella expensive so sooner or later you'll start to look at the DIY route, Wooden frame and Pond liner or Epoxy coated Plywood tank.
So now you have your 500+ gallon tank what do you put in it?
This question has been with me all afternoon as i've browsed the DIY and Indoor Pond sections on MFK.
Would i build a Monster sized tank and put Plecos in it? Unless we're talking Big Panaques/Pseudas here most Plecs would be dwarfed in such a tank.
So what would you choose?
Obvious Cats would be RTC, TSN, Tigrinus, Lima etc
Personally i'd opt for a group of Megalodoras Irwini <3
Mid level? Cichla definitely, and i probably wouldn't bother with much else. Unless i could get a couple of Bichirs in there.
Arowanas are ok i guess but it would have to be a Super Red or some nice Asian one and frankly thats money i could better spend.. like on a new car or motorbike :lol: and tbh you then have to start adding covers into the equation as you wouldn't want it jumping out. (though obviously covers would be mandatory if keeping Polypterus)
I don't think i'd bother with Potamotrygons either as their not really my thing.
So come on get out your wish lists, what stock would you have in a Monster tank?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Lda65.....
i'd go with that
and some monster pseuda's

i dont think i'd go for huge fish apart from the plecs, but instead have huge shoals, maybe beunos aires tetras, definitely some earth eaters.

mahoosive bits of wood, lots of moss, really go for a natural looking S. American tank<3

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Titanic, tig, albino gibby, couple of rip-saws, polys galore(surprise surprise), couple gars, and a RTGG. I just wouldn't feel right about a TSN, RTC, or the like till i had a pond big enough to house them for life I saw an RTC last weekend over 1.3m in length, 500+ gallons just doesn't cut it IMHO.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
true I suffer from MTS, but would not want a much larger tank than I have, just more of them, but hubby moans at the elec bill!
the reason I have 7 tanks is that I use incompatibility as a good excuse to but another one - eg cant put fish A in same tank as fish B cos they fight/diff diet/diff temp, other need/etc.
plus reduce risk if a tank gets infected it is limited to one tank...

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
colonies of 25, 273, 282, and psuedacanticus typhoon, erm......... some realy nice adult discus....................no forget that, u cant put sod all else in with em........... i'll invent a new sexy plec thats a mid swimmer and have loads of them!lol!

Lagonein

Apr 24, 2009
Singapore~
500g....hmmm...
I'd love to have a RTG(red tail gourami),my ropefish, watermelon, sunshine and hell lots of kuhli loaches(great scavangers).
Well, currently, I have them all except RTG. Just love to see them in a much bigger tank swimming happily. lol.
The weather loaches are great too but they get too big,very active and on other fish's nerves.lol