Plumb Slate Cave Build

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
UK - Newcastle (Toon Toon)
Plum Slate Cave Build

Just bought a big bag of plum slate from Homebase £5.99 and got a massive tube of tank silicone.. now then one big structure I think.
Will post pics along the way.
:D

Last edited:

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
Going to need more silicone :lol: and at £6 a tube it may have been cheaper to buy a ready built one :D

At least this way we can get what we want, maybe 3 caves along the bottom first then build up.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
cant wait to see what you come up with.
It doesnt always matter if its more expensive to make you own, you can do it how you want! enjoy

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
I have tried making caves with slate chippings myself in the past and have never really come up with anything id be proud with, the best way to make caves would be to buy slate or another kind of stone floor tiles and then get a tile cutter for the best results, i personally stick to buying off people who use this method and sell via forums and other sites as the tile cutters can cost £50 plus the stone and the silicone unless you plan on making lots and lots id say it was better to buy of someone.

billyjimbo on here makes some really good caves it would be worth sending him a message if you required any

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
Cheers.. we its our first go and we are NOT going to rush it :lol: step by step letting the silicone set properly on each stage. I think it will take 2 - 3 weeks to get it done right.
Just hope it looks good at the end
:D

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
Going to be a while before this is done.. ordered my tubes of silicone (thanks Breamlegend) a great site.
So in the mean time with what silicone I had left I have cut a 6" length of 1.1/2" black PVC pipe, bunged an end but left little holes and am now going to start to cover it with some smaller bits of plum slate.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Uh, you should let it cure for a few days (at least) before it goes into the tank. Generally if it smells don't risk it. Says it cures in 24 hours but usually takes longer.