pregnant albino bristlenose?

nick666

Apr 10, 2010
Wagga Wagga
i have a female albino bristlenose and i just pulled her out of the tank as i was putting her into another one and i noticed that she is really fat and she is a bluey purpley colour underneath, im not sure whats wrong with her, if you have any advice or know what is wrong please let me know, thanks nick :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
hey Nick

What are the water parameters?
Is she pooping and eating?
What do you generally feed her?
Hows her breathing?
Is she rounded fat or bloated?

nick666

Apr 10, 2010
Wagga Wagga
all the water parameters are normal, there is other female B.Ns and 1 male B.N in that same tank and they dont have any problems, she is eating fine, not so sure on pooping as she has been hiding all day, and i dont want to stress her out to much by taking every thing out of the tank just to find her, i feed them on cucumber and sinking pellets and algie wafers, she seemed to be eating and breathing ok when i saw her last, she is more rounded fat, she is more fat around the bottom part of her body, i have put some multi cure in the tank.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Could be gravid, id keep an eye on her. If it looks like bloat though then let us know

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Gravid is the term used instead of "pregnant". As bristlenose are egg layers they technically do not get pregnant, and gravid is the term used in species that lay eggs to say that they are carrying eggs, getting ready to mate.

nick666

Apr 10, 2010
Wagga Wagga
i had another look at my bristle nose today and she is still a bit fat, but she isnt as fat as she was, she is still eating normally and every thing, i think she is getting better but im not sure, is it normal for her to still be fat?

nick666

Apr 10, 2010
Wagga Wagga
hey guys she is doing alot better now, she is back to normal thanks to every one for there advice and help, it was very muchly appreciated!!!! cheers nick :)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good, I would have guess constipation cos of the colour, if they are gravid then if there is any diff colour at all I would expect an orange tint. add some peas to their diet on a regular basis (with skins off)