Prepping moss

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
Soon we're hoping to get the kids out for the day to a local forest.. hoon around some trees for a few hours..

While there I plan on looking out for mosses for the tank..

If I collect any, what prep do I need to go through to make them ready/safe for use in the tank?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Terrstrial mosses typically don't last very long in the aquarium. There are some commonly sold varieties that are used for the aquarium such as Tortula Ruralis-star moss and Christmas moss. Some work well in aquariums, others do not. Star moss is reported to only live a few months when grown submerged.

Here's a nice moss article:
http://www.killies.com/Truthaboutmosses.htm

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
I'd never heard of it until I read threads/posts from a chap who grows moss, in the aquarium, that he's collected from the environment.
Wasn't 100% but thought I'd read them on here.

If it's a non-starter (or a major hassle), I'll grab a clump of xmas moss and walk that path instead :yes:

rticle bookmarked for later reading.. cheers :)

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
As long as things aren't poisonous and don't die and pollute the aquarium can't see why it would be a problem adding them.

Never heard of moss being used from outside in uk either. Have heard of people using collected wood and leaves.

My favourite looking moss is flame moss.

Sambo

Aug 21, 2011
uk
I have read you can collect willow moss from ponds and streams? still looking, myself..

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
im after some flame moss on bogwood for my edge,the rasboras might lay eggs in it as they have been showing signs of spawning.
need it on bogwood around 4" long,if any ones got any spare..:whistle: