Rain, water changes and heating?

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Hey guys,

The sky looks like it may become a bit wet over the next few days and I have a few questions in regards to changing water before it happens.

When you do the change, do you leave the heater on to run as normal so the water heats up as quickly as it can, or do you turn down the temperature for a few days once you've changed the water? Or is the few hours it takes to warm back up to its normal temp sufficient for the fish to think they are getting fresh water from the rain or upstream in nature ect like we are trying to replicate by doing so?

Also, once you've changed the water, how soon do you give the fish food after doing so or doesn't it matter how soon you give them more food?

Cheers,

Alan.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
some fish spawn using different methods so its a trial and error thing to see what your fish do.... try it one way and if it doesnt work try another...

for example what works on 046's in perth may not work on 046s in queensland and vice versa....

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Ok, so what do most folks in Sydney do with water changes when the clouds arrive?

I'm just trying to ascertain if I should allow the temperature to stay dropped for a few days by turning down the heater at the same time I introduce the newer colder water.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I do 50% water changes and leave the heaters off for a few hours and feed that night sometimes