rare or not?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
i have recently taken ownership of a pair of bn's. The female used to mine a couple of years back. i bred from this female about 8 times each with a spawn of around 100-150 eggs and a high hatch and survival rate. My mate who had them also bred them a few times. now the question is are albinos from normal coloured parents rare? i have heard that albino parents breed brown fry but not many browns breed albino. Obviously i understand that albino bn's are common but are selectively bred.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
It depends onthe parents of your fish.
you could have 2 BNs which are brown, but have white as one parent.
eg put v simply - suppose each BN has a white and brown gene -so is brown in colour as the dominant gene. if they bred then 1/4 would be born-brown gene, 1/2 would be brown and white gene- appearing brown, and 1/4 would be white.

its not that simple but in principle, where tank bred BNs are involved they could have a the recessive white gene. I think its much rarer in wild as the white dont surviv as well and therefor get removed from the gene pool.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
eg put v simply - suppose each BN has a white and brown gene -so is brown in colour as the dominant gene. if they bred then 1/4 would be born-brown gene, 1/2 would be brown and white gene- appearing brown, and 1/4 would be white.

its not that simple but in principle, where tank bred BNs are involved they could have a the recessive white gene. I think its much rarer in wild as the white dont surviv as well and therefor get removed from the gene pool.
Im glad Irene explained it lol, it is all down to that recessive white gene though, i remember it was discussed else where in detail, will have to have a look and find out some more info.