Re-Aquascaped my 75g

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
The picture of Tener ds' tank inspired me to re-aquascape my tank. The plants were growing out of control and the poor cory's were running out of room to roam freely . In fact, one of them got tangled in a plant but managed to escape :whistle:. That's when I decided it's time to start over. I pulled everything out (except for the sand and fish), vacuumed the heck out of the substrate, stirred it with my hands, picked out the big snails, did a large pwc and replanted everything. It was a long day. I threw a lot of plants away but I honestly had too many of them. Any suggestions on placement of plants/driftwood is welcomed. Thank you for looking!

Attachments

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
It looks great and will be even better once all the plants establish themselves...One suggestion tho if I may...I wouldn't have the heater standing straight up like that. Heat rises and will switch the unit off before the whole tank is up to temprature...Its better placed at a 45 degree angle so the heat rises away from the bi-metalic strip that turns your heater on/off...You can however leave it as it is if you have a good flow of water moving across the heater to disperse the heat...Hope this makes sense to you :thumbup:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Wow.. Looking good. Have u got a "before" pic.
Does look very nice, be better when the plants start growing.
+1 about the heater tho.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
LOL, ok I moved the heater. Thank you for letting me know about that. After I looked at the pictures I too noticed that the heater stuck out, in a bad way. And I'm glad you explained the heat distribution to me, I never put too much thought into it.

Here's a pic of the tank before. My thought was to open it up a bit for the cory's so that they could move easier through the tank. I got rid off all of the grassy plants up front. I know the swords need to grow in some more and the crypts look a bit funky to me, not sure why. The leaves were wider when I first got them, but as they've grown the leaves have gotten narrow looking (if that makes any sense). Maybe some more Vals in the back? I don't know.

Attachments

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
New scape looks great, a lot cleaner than the old one.

If you want a critical eye on it, to me it is all very straight or symmetrical.

I like my tanks to flow one way, preferably left to right, I would bunch the fern type plants and the larger wood on the left side and see what you can do with the rest of the plants and wood on the right side.

Will probably give you even more room for the corys to play and work better as a scape.

Just my '2 cents' and it certainly is still a great tank as is.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Looks good.
I like my tanks to flow one way, preferably left to right, I would bunch the fern type plants and the larger wood on the left side and see what you can do with the rest of the plants and wood on the right side.
I can't really comment as I don't do aquascaping, I only do jungles, but I think Xingu is right and a less symmetrical planting with a "flow" from one side to the other will look more natural.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow looks great. As you see we all have a different view. My 3cents wortth is that I would also have a large area of free sand space for the corys to dig and rumage around. Maybe take away the three middle front plants and move them to the side to give you a more free space. looks much better than the other one you had. the other option to also hide the heater is to buy a heater guard. Then it is less obvious as you can buy them in green and black. cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
THANK YOU everyone for your kind words and constructive ideas! I will certainly consider moving some plants around next week. I just ordered root tabs from pferts.com so when they get here, that's when I'll make some moves. And I won't lie, I do have a habit of getting asymetrical with aquascaping. Perhaps it's because I've been married to an engineer for 21 yrs, he's killing my artistic side damn him :wb:!

Do you think I should keep the driftwood thats in the corner? I don't know if it serves much "purpose" or if it looks strange. And I got rid of the rock pile but Larry (L134) misses it. I tried to keep a smaller rock pile for him, but so far he hasn't gone in it. Any suggestions on what I can do for him?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Do you think I should keep the driftwood thats in the corner? I don't know if it serves much "purpose" or if it looks strange.
Have a move around with it, try different positions, angles etc take a step back and see what you think.

Consider breaking it into smaller pieces as well, I have done that before, whatever works for you.

I have one piece of wood that I move on a pretty much daily basis, I am sure that nobody looking at the tank notices except me!

Just done a water change and moved it again and I think I am finally happy.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
looks sweet and you do have a green thumb ! nice tank ,thanks for showing us.
oh, and the changing things around, many of us do it ...it's kinda like we get it just how we want....almost ..... just a tweak here and there and it will be perfect....except that one more thing to move ...you get it...:thumbup:

georgie