reflectors?

danielryan

Sep 7, 2009
wallington
has any-one made any DIY versions please?

if so, would appreciate some help as to what you have used, and how they have faired over time.

Thanks

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I've cut some out of a stainless steel sheet with a guillotine, they tend to mark with water splashes etc. but can be bent into a parabolic shape. I filed and taped all the edges, so it is a bit more work than buying them.
You want stainless steel grade 304, 0.5 or 0.9mm thick, mirror finish. I had an off-cut from a radiant heater reflector, but you can buy stainless steel plate in small amounts of ebay etc.

I also tried aluminium, but it would keep a bright finish.

My newer ones use are "shed guttering" painted with gloss white paint, and the tubes tied on with cable ties. These work very well, and are very easy to make. I'm a cheapskate and used whatever paint was to hand and ended up with a horrible streaky effect full of runs, but if you used car spray paint and clear lacquer you could end up with a more professional looking job. They also come with ready made ends.

Apparently "gloss white" offers as good a reflectivity as polished stainless steel, the ones I had were white "Freeflow Full Gloss Rainwater", so I probably could have got away with not painting them at all.

cheers Darrel

Sambo

Aug 21, 2011
uk
Baking foil-so cheap-so effective. Either fold it to thickness and pin or screw or glue in place or mould in a cone around the bulb if not a regular long one - shiney side towards the plants...

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Baking foil-so cheap-so effective. Either fold it to thickness and pin or screw or glue in place or mould in a cone around the bulb if not a regular long one - shiney side towards the plants...
Ur a life saver. Just changed my bulbs and managed to break
my reflector, doh. Used the foil and I think it works sooo much
better than the standard one. Cheers sambo.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
A bit of info about using tinfoil:
"If you build your own light fixtures you might be tempted to use tin foil as a reflector because it's shiny, cheap and available. Well think again kid. Tin foil is not a reflector it's a diffuser. Don't believe me? Try this. Take a sheet of tin foil. Point one of those inexpensive laser pointers at it, or even a bright flashlight. Notice how scattered the reflection is? That's because the tin foil is a poor reflector. Shine that same light source in a mirror. Note the difference. White paint actually makes a better reflector in a DIY fixture than does tin foil. If you head to a craft shop or your local dope growers supply (hydroponics) store you should be able to find mylar sheeting. It makes a good reflector also. Your lights should be on 10-12 hours a day. Leaving them on longer only invites algae."

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Lorne to the rescue again! how do you have the time to learn all these things. . . I need your secrete! Lol. Respect.