removing plants

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,i need to remove 2 plants that are dieing and have dead and dieing leaves.it looks like 1 of the fishs has been eating it.
now can i cut them just under the sand or should i remove as much as poss that is growing under the sand?the prob is that they have been in the tank from day 1 and will have roots all over the tank and i don,t won,t to dig up half the tank when i remove them if poss.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hello, I would gently lift up the plant with all of its roots or as much as possible. Dead roots wil just add pollutant to the tank. But pull it out slowly if you can. good luck. cheers jk

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'd agree with "bigbird", just ease them out as carefully as possible. As you've all ready found some plants like Cryptocorynes and Amazon Swords have huge root systems.
cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all,
I'd agree with "bigbird", just ease them out as carefully as possible. As you've all ready found some plants like Cryptocorynes and Amazon Swords have huge root systems.
cheers Darrel
OMG...ur not kidding!!
moved 1 and half the sand in the tank moved.left that 1 and tryed the other,not as bad but still made a mess.has also made the water flow better round the tank.and i did a big ish water change after.
when moving the plant 1 off my baby Anubias came lose and gave me a new plant..:)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
good stuff. Some things one just has to do and get a surprise out of it. You will disturb some substrate, but it will settle again. cheers jk :thumbup:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
All settled down now.the 2 plants where part of a bunch off 5,so some of the roots might belong to them.it's also opened the front off the tank up,more space for fish swim.