Repashy in Australia

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
5,041
1
38
58
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I suppose its been about a year that Repashy is available in Australia unless you got it snuck in through ebay before then.

How is it? There seems to be 3 sorts available, morning wood, supergreen and grub pie. I imagine the supergreen would be akin to the old soilent green original one?

I have an old shrimp soufflé one via ebay which has different instructions for preparation. It does have bring to the boil on the stove one but I use the bring to boil or thereabouts in the microwave. 1/4 cup of repashy to 3/4 cup water and microwave about 2mins or less in my microwave. Easy peasy but my plecos aren't flying out to eat it in front of me yet. Maybe the wood one will be more successful since those ones are gluttons?
 

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
1,399
1
36
Perth, Western Australia
no expert on repashy - but i dont think microwaving water is good for anything...

if you water 2 seperate but similar plants with normal water and microwaved water - one of them dies - guess which one :whistle: microwaved watered plant dies :cry:

i have only tried grub pie - and same thing bren zebs wont touch it or arabesque and 174s , 007s , 114s..... the only ones that showed interest in it were 333's

i was given some by a mate to try - and i gave it back to him :thumbup:

but was reading on fb a few people are mixing cyclops and brine shrimp etc into the grub pie and their hypans do eat it.... sort of defeats the purpose - i'll just be feeding them brine etc the usual way :thumbup:
 

callumsikone

New Member
May 29, 2014
2
0
1
Wollongong
Johnno that would be due to the temperature of the water possibly ;)

But in seriousness I don't see why heating anything via microwave (e.g water) as apposed to on a stove top is any different?
 

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
1,399
1
36
Perth, Western Australia
microwaving anything alters the molecular structure of whats being microwaved.... there is a lot of evidence for and against this... but my example of using microwaved water that has cooled down vs boiled water cooled down to water 2 different plants is evidence enough... microwaved water kills plants - fact..... i have done this just to prove it to myself.....

so wondering what microwaved water is doing in your aquarium ??? well its not nourishing your plants thats for sure.... and i wonder what long term consumption of microwaved water will have on your fish... after all repashy works out to be very high percentage of water after you make it...

lot of us are keeping fish that worth 1000's and it just isnt worth taking any risks what so ever....
 

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
1,399
1
36
Perth, Western Australia
boiling as in boiled on the stove - or microwaved till boiling ?

an accumulation of radiation exposure will eventually take its toll on your body... but i have no idea how much microwaved water is needed to poison a human... and also have no desire to experiment and try it out lol :)
but if your keen to try it - do keep a diary in case something happens then at least we'll know what you did prior to expiring.... :lol::lol::lol:


heres a copy/paste from http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/why-you-should-never-microwave-your-food/

When it comes specifically to microwaves, damage to the food itself isn’t the only concern. Many microwavable foods are processed and in packaging that contains an assortment of chemicals. Chemicals found in many of these containers include benzene, toluene, polyethylene terpthalate (PET), xylene, and dioxins (known carcinogens). At high temperatures, it is likely that chemicals can absorb into the food, and intake of these chemicals presents a high health risk. What’s more, the chemicals in the food themselves are also a cause for concern.

Perhaps one of the most dangerous contaminants in microwavable food is BPA. A watchdog report from the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel found this estrogen-like plastic leaked from all packaging into the food tested. [1] BPA disrupts normal hormone activity. Infertility, low-libido, cardiac disease, mental disorders, allergies, high blood pressure, and weight gain have all been linked to BPA exposure. The simple fact is, when you use a microwave, you’re getting a lot more than the food you eat.
 

Nat's Fish

Member
Nov 14, 2011
514
0
16
Haha no thanks.
I boil the kettle to add water to repashy.
All fish food in Australia must be heat treated and sometimes pressure treated to at least 100 degrees for minimum 30 minutes. That doesn't sound too good for it!
What about when we microwave soup etc? You're making me very nervous haha
 

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
1,399
1
36
Perth, Western Australia
havent eaten microwaved food for years now....

what scares me the most is in the microwave instruction manual it says never stand in front of a microwave while its on :dk:

and recommends getting your microwave tested after 12 months for leakage...

enough radiation in the atmosphere that we are exposed to without topping it up with micro wave radiation....

but majority of all plastics release toxins into foods at high temperature....