Slate Caves

Adam

Feb 2, 2010
Leeds and down a bit...
Hi,
I'm planning on making some slate caves to BREED plecs. I'm interested in any design which is good for breeding as I'm going to make a variety of them. also, does anyone know what a good type of rock to stack and disguise the caves with is?

Thanks in advance!

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hi,
there are many designs of slate caves, square, rectangle, slanted, hangover roof etc, not to mention different sizes and I like to give my fish quite a choice.
anything Long and narrow really. stack with other slate pieces, flints stone , beach rocks that have no lime in them such as quartz type or marble.
becareful some beaches do not allow removal of stones and you can get fined.
But I like beach stones as they are usually rounded and have no sharp bits for fish to hurt themselves.

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
A quick search on the forum should get you some ideas. the serious breeder likes a removable lid section so may be worth thinking along these lines?
you would be best getting a wet tile cutter or borrow one :yes:

I picked up 6 broken roofing slates from the builders yard this morning,just asked if they had any and they gave me them as there not sellable(freebie):woohoo:
bag of river cobbles are easy to come by in garden center.Get the larger cobbles ,mine were £6 a sack or two for £10.
Keeping on topic what is the preference in sillicone colour to go with slate? Black or Clear? My gut feeling is clear as it will take on the colour of slate.what do others use?

get some photos up of them when there made. regards Rob

Adam

Feb 2, 2010
Leeds and down a bit...
Thanks for the response guys!

Unfortunately and oddly enough - I've been to 2 local stores and even the builders merchants and no one 'YES' no one has slate?!?!?!

If ever I do get slate, I've got some ideas, I'll post up the pictures later.

Thanks again!

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i like the "flat" idea. get some thin, long pieces of slate, then stack them in rectangles at the bottom,(remember to sealent them!) squares further up, then little triangles. this gives the fish ample choice and more reasons to spawn!
goodluck mate, keep us posted on how it goes, maybe some pics :D