sore gourami

tropicasarah

Feb 28, 2011
Perth
My dwarf coral gourami has two sores on one side of his body. The water has been treated for fungus so the sores aren't from that, but they do look white around the edges. Hes had them for about a week and they started looking better then they flared up again. They're swollen but he doesnt seem to be in any discomfort. Any ideas what they are and/or how to fix him (if any action is needed?)

Attachments

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
That looks like an ulcer...Keep the water as clean as posible with water changes and try Melafix and pimafix together...You can also raise the temp a little as this will speed up the fishes metabolic rate, but add extra aeriation to compensate for that.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Agree with D, the fixit twins are quite mild and usually cover all bases and keeping the water really clean and aerated will also help :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Looks like it could be an injury that got infected or it could be bacterial. Its always difficult to diagnose a fish. I would definitely qt him and start with what D-MAC suggested. Clean water, good aeration and the fix it twins sometimes goes a long way. I would also keep a very close eye on it. If you don't see it getting any better or if you see it getting worse or if other symptoms pop up (secondary symptoms), you may need need to switch to a stronger medication. That's another reason why getting the fish into qt now would be a good thing.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
i had a moonlight gourami that suffered from the exact same sore- i did a water change and melafix. We would sort it out and about 3 moths later it would come back. No matter what matainence of the tank we did.

you'll sort it.... i feel the good vibes on this once

keep us up to date

cc

tropicasarah

Feb 28, 2011
Perth
thanks. in the last two days ive got patches appearing on the fish hours before they die. Every species! Jusat treated with tetracycline to get any hardier bacteria that escaped the fixits as they didnt help (btw do you know that they kill bettas as the block their breathing?) Unless i can identify the patches ill hafta see how this goes. Im late atm but ive got pix of the patches in other posts, ill put them here asap.
Also, Can I set up to get an email when someone replies to my post?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
that is totally not good! Hope the more experienced members with these things can help you but one thing for sure is it sucks for you and them. AND i didnt know that about betta's but i'm glad i do now as i own one!

you can with the email, its in you profile settings......

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Hope the tetracycline works :thumbup:

I used to keep and breed bettas 5 years ago and used the fix it twins with no problems :dk:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
If it's moving that quickly, I would suspect it could be bacterial or viral in nature (I would guess bacterial). Its really difficult to positively diagnose a fish. And I know gourami's are a PITA to keep. They in particular seem to contract some strange disease and die, or at least that's what I read in a fish magazine a while ago.

When they have a bacterial infection you want to know if it's a gram postive bacteria or if it's a gram negative bacteria, and that alone is often difficult to figure out. If tetracylin isn't helping you may want to try Maracyn. Its a gram positive antibiotic. When I'm not sure if it's gram positive or gram negative, I dose with both Maracyn & Maracyn 2 at the same time. Maracyn works on gram + while Maracyn 2 works on gram -. Its a pretty tough treatment, but if the fish was healthy beforehand they can usually survive it. You'll certainly want to treat the fish in qt. It will kill your biofilter (at least it killed mine). Also, take a look at this website. It may help you to diagnose the fish and figure out a course of treatment if the tetracylin doesn't help. Good luck! I really hope your fishy gets better. http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/diseases.html

tropicasarah

Feb 28, 2011
Perth
Thanks guys, I treated with the tetracycline and noone else has died, since the first lot. I still have two gouramis alive. My pleco's fins are growing back, even the little spikes, and are pink which i guess is better than white. :clap:
So my conclusion is that it was a bacteria, and one that was susceptible to tetracycline. Ive done a water change and everyone's still fine. My pH was just over 6, Ive raised it to 7 now in case it crashes (I wonder if that may have happened overnight and corrected by the time I tested it) and causes low immunity. Hopefully this is all over for now. though... my gourami still has a small dark patch that I am hoping is a healing sore...
Thankyou all for your help and suggestions. Hopefully my gal will be back to the cave soon and we'll have some healthy, happy babies. :)

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I suppose rather than wasting money on expensive products in the shop you could just make your own and I know tea tree oil is really cheap and most essential oils and I can get trade discount on them making it even cheaper so I would rather make my own. Especially if there is a chance it may not work.