Storing wafers etc

BombHead666

Apr 21, 2009
Bedale - North Yorkshire
Trying to get back on thread, as this is turning into a sodding buy/sell thread, which it aint!
I read (can't remember where - sorry) that any form of moisture ingress is the biggest 'danger' to any kind of aquatic food and will aid in breaking down and leeching the nutrients. However hard you try, freezing IMO will introduce moisture.
Without any form of industrial kit, the best we can go for is in an airtight container, then stored in a cool place out of direct sunlight.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Trying to get back on thread, as this is turning into a sodding buy/sell thread, which it aint!
I read (can't remember where - sorry) that any form of moisture ingress is the biggest 'danger' to any kind of aquatic food and will aid in breaking down and leeching the nutrients. However hard you try, freezing IMO will introduce moisture.
Without any form of industrial kit, the best we can go for is in an airtight container, then stored in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
That was my opinion also Ian but judging by the response it may well be possible. I am gonna try it when I get some in and will let you know the results.

Cheers

thegeeman
The process of freezing itself does not introduce moisture. As an example, try freezing a piece of paper. If the paper isn't wet when you freeze it, it won't be when you remove it. Items such as veggies gets mushy when defrosted because the process of freezing breaks down the cellular structure of the veggies. When the moisture that was already present in the veggies prior to freezing melts, the veggies get mushy. Liquid is only introduced to the thawing product by condensation which is why its best to defrost the wafers/flakes in a sealed container.

Foodsaver brand is probably the most popluar brand of vacuum sealers in the US. They can be purchased in all types of stores here.
http://www.foodsavereurope.com/Home/Default.aspx

kakamac

Well after all the responses I decided to go with vacuum sealing and used my mates vacuum sealer and it has worked wonders. I trialed a few different pellets and after a few months of freezing I've opened them up to find no moisture. Thanks Lorne for the suggestion and everyone else for your imput.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Well after all the responses I decided to go with vacuum sealing and used my mates vacuum sealer and it has worked wonders. I trialed a few different pellets and after a few months of freezing I've opened them up to find no moisture. Thanks Lorne for the suggestion and everyone else for your imput.
Glad it worked out for you.