Tds.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
I've been reading an article on dry and rainy seasons, and it says on the 2nd day to add some calcium carbonate and magnesium sulphate to the tank to raise total and carbonate hardness 1 degree each.
This got me thinking. The first time my L134s had a trapping was when I had just finished a 3 week course of Flubenol 15 in their tank for something I thought was wrong, but wasnt. After a decent sized water change, the female went round my 3 males caves for a month, but no action.
The TDS in my tank is usually about 160 on my meter, and my tap water is 100. I've tried RO water to bring it down to 80 for a while, but nothing happens.
I'm just wondering if the drop from 160 to 80 isn't enough of a change for them to spawn and if the Flubenol over those 3 weeks raised the TDS quite a bit (I didn't measure it :wb:)
Do I want to have a TDS of 250-350 before I lower it? And what should I use? I can get a tub of Kent RO Right if need be.
Any suggestions welcome.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
My fish (plecs incl) spawn at a TDS of 45ppm. I'm very lucky to have it come out the tap at that. I think if you can reduce your normal TDS down to something in that region, it would probably get things going. If you use an HMA, you could just piggy back a DI pod onto it. I use API Electro Right to rebuild the water to suit my needs.

I have read that using wormer can induce spawning.

Cheers
Elaine

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
IME it's not the water change itself that triggers the spawn, but the calm period afterward. You can add hardness salts to the water in minute amounts (or let the TDSs grow by themselves--feed extra, toss in an eggshell or two). A 50-70 percent water change followed by sp**** feeding and little to no disturbance of the tank would hopefully induce spawning. If not, I dunno what to tell you.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
pmsl. I was trying to work out what the sp bit was:lol:

So does the forum blank naughty words?

s***, F*** oh yeah very good. You can still type Cichlid though:yes:

thegeeman

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Lol. Thanks guys. I'm going to try what Cup says as I've tried everything else I think. I just recon they need more of a change in parameters than what I have been providing to get them started. I have 1 male that looks like he needs a shave and he's just started fanning slightly as well. I think I'll do without the lights too for a while.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Tds=Total dissolved solids in the water. Measured in PPM prts per million. I can't give you any tips as mines havn't bred yet and I've been trying for 2 years! :wb:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
u lucky people TDS of under 300 from a tap???

We in this fair city are lucky to get under 350 from the tap.

Well bless the water companys and all the profits
And the ****s want me on a meater???

Regards

Bob

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Now on the point of swear words being blanked who says waht words are swear words because for me Thacher is a swaer wood and its not blanked out
B0locks

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
I don't measure anything as all and I successfully breed alot of different L numbers. I don't think you have to be precise think of there real environment on how it would fluctuate and go from there. lealea

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
To be fair Aus has a lot of soft well water (or so I hear), so it's really quite dependent on your tap conditions.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Here in wagga wagga tap water at my house is around a tds of 150 and ph of 7-7.5
but not 2km from here it is 6.5 ph from the tap and around 100 tds.

I

intrepidmax

my cold water tap is 200 ppm and my hot water is way over 500 ppm.......my tank water is under 50 ppm and after a water change sits around 24 ppm. nothing spawned as yet.....I have done 25% water change on monday and tuesday. tonight is a 50% then back to 2x 25%......if the coryies spawn then i know im doing right and carry on, if not then im going to leave for a week and let the tank get messy then start again with 25%. for three days. if still nothing after the first 2 tests then plan B will fall into place. (temp is playing a part in water changes)

Highlandken

May 6, 2009
Loch Ness, Scotland
I've been reading an article on dry and rainy seasons, and it says on the 2nd day to add some calcium carbonate and magnesium sulphate to the tank to raise total and carbonate hardness 1 degree each.
This got me thinking. The first time my L134s had a trapping was when I had just finished a 3 week course of Flubenol 15 in their tank for something I thought was wrong, but wasnt. After a decent sized water change, the female went round my 3 males caves for a month, but no action.
The TDS in my tank is usually about 160 on my meter, and my tap water is 100. I've tried RO water to bring it down to 80 for a while, but nothing happens.
I'm just wondering if the drop from 160 to 80 isn't enough of a change for them to spawn and if the Flubenol over those 3 weeks raised the TDS quite a bit (I didn't measure it :wb:)
Do I want to have a TDS of 250-350 before I lower it? And what should I use? I can get a tub of Kent RO Right if need be.
Any suggestions welcome.
Hi Pete,
I think its just a case of good conditioning and a lower tds water change just as a low pressure system hits.
Last success i had was when i changed my water conditioner !!
My tap is around 25ppm. I use RO right to bring it up to around 120ppm and was adding a drip of aqua safe. I changed to prime and within a week i had a L201 spawn, a L134 spawn and another two L134 males vibrating with females visiting ? Don't know exactly what to make of that but thats what happened !
Hope this helps ?
Cheers,
Kenny

I

intrepidmax

yes i was sure thats what i wrote on the tank the other day, but it has changed now to 37 ppm thats after its water change tonight the ph is sitting between 6.0 and 6.5 (broad range kit i have) but after this week im putting the ph back up to 7.0-7.5 and upping the hardness......(if i have eggs then im going to up the ph but try keep the hardness below 150)