The best possible Panaque diet

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I'm reading up alot at the minute on panaques. I keep finding conflicting information on the best diet for them.0

Some say panaques in the wild find small bugs and dead animals when feeding (which I can totally beleive).

Some say even giving them small amounts of animal protein is bad for them. They call it junk food.

What do you beleive is the best way to feed them to give them a healthy life and grow?

I'm not looking for the most practical (within reason)

Thanks for reading

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is what I feed mine. It's worked well for me both growth and overall look of the fish is great.

Everyday or every other I feed them fresh carrots, sweet or white potato and turnips.
As treats I give them parsley, green peas, mushrooms, peppers green/red/yellow. I also feed them any unwanted parts of vegetables I've cleaned and prepared for my family to eat. They're like a living garbage disposal for veggies.

Pellets I used to feed them HBH but I've been using NLS mega fish formula and they love it. Their growth has sped up and they look great.
I'm also using this company called Northfin made here in Canada it's high quality stuff better than NLS. I use the veggie pellets for all my fish.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Thanks for a quick and useful response as always.

My 7" xingu only seems to be interested in courgette. I have tried on cucumber, sweet pot, kale, broccoli, carrots, tetra algae wafers.

I know how important it is to get these eating so I add courgette most days with other bits to try an encourage him. I also stuffed some wafers in the courgette last night but I'm unsure if he ate any.

My little 190/191 will eat pretty much anything.

After a quick google search I couldn't find NLS wafers. Matt sent me a link for spirilina based wafer off eBay but I can't find it now.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Matt sent me a link for spirilina based wafer off eBay but I can't find it now.
Try "A world of fish" on Ebay, excellent products and service when I bought some bits, Bob (Macvsog23) recommended him when I asked where he had got his earth-worm flake from.

If he doesn't have anything suitable "TA Aquaculture" is a good place for quality food on the web.

I think both owners are very experienced fish keepers, and only sell things they use.

cheers Darrel

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Keep trying with carrots and white potato. It will come around soon.

You can soak the white potato in cold water rinse and repeat to leech out some of the starch.
This will prevent your tank from becoming cloudy.

Those two are my go to foods for them. I always have one or the other in my tanks.

I personally stopped using zucchini not much to them nutritionally and they cost way too much.
I can buy a lot of potato be it sweet or white for the price of a few zucchini.

Can you get Sera products? You can try their pleco chips.
I'm also surprised NLS can't be found.
You can always contact directly.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
So would you go for the spirulina or algae wafers from here?

http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/

Also found this on eBay. At little more expensive

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=220976028519

Is there anything I add to the veg to make it more appealing for them? Garlic?
Carrots and white potatoes sounds goo alot cheaper!

I think Irene said to me once courgette was good nutritious food.

Poor pic but he was loving the courgette before I walked in

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Zucchini is healthy for them. There's just a lot more to a potato or carrot.

If it's eating zucchini keep feeding it.
Mine just stopped eating it so it would spoil.

I've never seen them enjoy anything as much as a sweet or white potato. They're gone in just a few hours after I put them in.

IME they'll eat anything plant related. I tried to grow pothos out of my tank and they ate all of it. Dragged it in and tore it up.

From the first link I'd go with the algae wafers. The ingredients look better to me.

Those sera chips are supposedly really good. I've never tried them out but have read they're good from others.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'd get the "Algae Wafers" from TA Aquaculture, I'd be very surprised if the SERA ones are any better. Just feed a wafer every couple of days, but always offer some veg.
Carrots and white potatoes sounds a lot cheaper! I think Irene said to me once courgette was good nutritious food.
Just try a range of veg., what-ever is cheap, a single Sweet Potato will keep for a long time. I use Courgette (Zucchini) in the summer when they are cheap, but not in the winter when they aren't.

The reason I'd get the Algae Wafers is that they are low in protein and have a lot of good quality ingredients:
Analytical Constituents: Min Crude Protein 28%, Min Crude Fat 6%, Crude Fibre 6%, Max Moisture 10%. Composition: Spirulina Algae, Alfalfa Meal, Pea Powder, Soy Flour, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal, Brown Rice Flour, Wheat Starch, Fish Oil, Wheat Germ, Carrot Powder, Spinach Powder, Kelp Meal, Brewers Yeast, Glycerin, Soybean Oil, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamins and minerals.
cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
I'm going to give the algae wafers a try.

I have tried sweet pots a few times my juveniles love it but the xingu does not touch it. My 13" xingu used to love sweet pot. I have tried white pots tonight for the first time, so I'm hoping he gets stuck in. I'm watching him now he is getting more and more confident by the week (when the lights are on and people in the room).

Cheers