The Great Algae Wafer Debate

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
UK - Newcastle (Toon Toon)
So come on then best ones? (before I blow £28 on a kilo of Hikari)

Hikari

King British

Tetra

Ocean Nutrition

Other
-------------------------------------------

What else to go in other than Veg & Wafers.. brine shrimp, blood worm?
What's your feeding routine ? For tank size/number of fish.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
What are you feeding?
There is no one best. If you look at the ingredients of each, many are not very different than a standard diet with the addition of a slight amount of algae. Hikari for instance has algae as its 5th ingredient I believe, a couple of the top ingredients are animal based and thus the wafer can have quite high levels of protiens which can cause problems with herbivorous plecs. A number of other algae wafers out there are similar in constitution. While too much Hikari wafers for herbivorous plecs can cause problems, it may be perfectly suitable as a staple for an omnivorous or canivorous plec.

Skirge

Jul 23, 2010
UK - Newcastle (Toon Toon)
I feed King British wafer at the moment & King British catfish pellets.. they get regular fresh veg and once maybe twice a week frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worm.
Its a community tank so flake food too also King British.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I'd stick with something a bit more veggie based.
Wardley is good but tought to come by in the UK. Sera makes a wafer with wood in in that'd be good.

froggie

Sep 8, 2009
South Africa Jhb
I have LDA01 L183 and common BN 100+
I feed mainly Hikari Algae wafers/sinking wafers/ Massivore with no problem
but they do get tired of it then I switch to Ocean Nutrition, or a mix

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Never had any pleco knock back the Hikari algae wafer. Even fry will eat it.
I like it because it will break down fairly quickly unlike some of the cheaper ones which end up making a snail haven which I have to fish out the next day.

For panaques I feed Hikari sparingly along with cucumber. I mean they do eat wood as well so they don't need a complete feed of wafers.