Thinking about Angelfish

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
Thinking about what tankmates to have for my soon to be cycled tank:) I'm going to have 2 L128s but other than that I'm not sure.

It's a 55gl tank. Planted(java fern and Anubias) with lots of driftwood and rocks, sand substrate...PH will be between 6.3 and 6.8. Current throughout the tank but nothing too strong..

I have fallen very much in love with angelfish from visiting various LFS in my area. I'd Love to start out with 5 or so baby angels maybe with a group of cardinal tetras?? Does this sound ok? :dk:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Mrs Xingu loves Angels so we have 2 in my main tank, they have lots of character.

Kept with 4 Ancistrus and a multitude of Tetras with no issue.

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
The only potential problem with Angels is if you get a pair forming, they can be aggressive when breeding and you may find the fins of the L128's will suffer.

I would also have thought that smaller Cardinals could become a snack for Angels,

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
I love angels too. They have always been one of my favourites. Yes a pair can get aggressive when protecting eggs/fry etc. But you will find whatever else is in the tank will learn to keep away. Goodluck with them.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I was always worried about placing angels into my community tank because of potential conflicts through breeding. To try and minimise this and give them the most space possible I only put 4 in my tank. I ended up with 2 breeding pairs from 4. My plan of having non breeding angels in a community tank so it would stay relatively peaceful didn't work.

Having said that I am really surprised at the lack of damage to any fish. It is such a deep tank that the tetras shoal along the bottom and get ignored. Their main focus is the other breeding pair but the other pair won't fight they back down so order is restored.

It is 5ft with some plecs and a few tetras. Medium to heavily planted. My temp is normally 26C in summer can be 28C-30C. Last ph reading 6.0, previously it was staying at 6.8(may of been adding too many tannins at water changes) This current ph along with the water changes and the adding of tannins have drove my angels nuts and spawning all over the place, both pairs.

They stay out of the way of bottom feeding fish usually and there is no competition for food because of this. I notice they prefer to feed from the top and will only venture to the bottom when all food at the top has gone. At feeding time all fish get on, it is when the feeding frenzy has stopped they go back to protecting eggs. The other fish at least get a chance to feed without being attacked or warned away.

Having lots of plants in the tank seems to create sections/territories and hiding places so better for the other fish. The plecs are able to stay out the way because of rocks , slat eand wood on th e bottom and can move around unnoticed by the angels. The bottom is thick of cryptocorynes , the corys and oto's can group together amongst these happily and be left alone.

I think as long as there is space to escape if needed, hiding places and no competition at feeding time and aggression doesn't turn into other fish become stressed and damaged then it is fine.

If I started seeing ripped or nipped fins, fish hiding stressed, dying , getting chased around too much and refused access to food I would feel I had a problem and remove the angels .