Too young to breed?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Just thought id get everybody else's point of view.
Do you think that we are possibly provoking our fish into breeding too early?
A "female" dog for instance shouldn't breed until they are around 1.5-2 years even though they are capable of becoming pregnant at anywhere between 4-6 months.
Just curious.:hi:

Miquatics

Jul 14, 2009
Cairns
Hi Rabbit. That's an interesting point. I look forward to the responses. I have several colonies of 333 and 134 I've had since fry (some a bit older) for about 1.5 years now. As far as sizes go, a majority would be apparently ready to breed. I've thought about all the methods used by experienced breeders to trigger spawning, but haven't really made any effort yet out of fear they may still be too young? I wonder if they'll just start when they're ready? Cheers.

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
I think fish breed when thy are mature and ready there are fish farms using hormones to induce breeding but in the average aquarium this is not the case you see lots of posts of people trying this trigger or that trigger with no results then one day they just breed when they are ready

canberra_plec

Sep 22, 2009
Canberra
dunno if it has any implications here but i find that with my commons at least i try to seperate them when they first breed and let them grow another few months. if i dont they just seem to "almost stop growing, that extra few months allows them to grow heaps.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
IMO most plecs can breed in the juvenile/sub adult stage BUT i dont think its a good thing. I had a pair of bn,s that started spawning even though the male had only just started to show bristles. They were maybe 60mm TL and from the point they started to breed they stopped growing. I believe this is not beneficial to the health of the fish so I split them up.

IMO its best to leave them to grow into adults before trying to spawn them. That said, Accidents do happen:)

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I'm inclined to agree with geeman, whilst plecs may be able to breed really young, its surely not going to be good for them long term.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
IMO most plecs can breed in the juvenile/sub adult stage BUT i dont think its a good thing. I had a pair of bn,s that started spawning even though the male had only just started to show bristles. They were maybe 60mm TL and from the point they started to breed they stopped growing. I believe this is not beneficial to the health of the fish so I split them up.

IMO its best to leave them to grow into adults before trying to spawn them. That said, Accidents do happen:)

Cheers

thegeeman
Thats my thoughts exactley.:yes: