Treating with Ich Attack

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I've been treating my cycled 25 gal for Ich for a week now using Kordon Ich Attack. Has anyone had any experience with this med? I have an albino bn and dwarf platies in there along with a bunch of plants. It's been a week and am still finding spots. I have the temp up 84-86 and dosing once a day. I did a 50% wc just before I started the med, and once since starting it. In the past when I have used salt/heat I don't see anymore spots by this time. Since I have plants, I can't do salt. Should I be worried it's taking so long?

Last edited:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Did you remove all carbon from the filters?
How sure are you that what you have is ich?
Ich is one of the most mis-diagnosed diseases. Anytime anything white or grainy is seen on fish immediately ich is to blame. Many times ich is not the cause & the reason why meds don't work.

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I don't use carbon in my filtration. I am pretty sure it's Ich since I had it once before. Looks like little white dots, grains of salt. The same spots aren't on the same fish on the same place every day. Ich is the only thing I know of that wouldn't stay in the same place on the fish. I've read that this med can take longer than usual since it's 100% natural. But wasn't sure how much "longer" is in comparison to using actual chemical meds.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Its been a long time since I had to treat for Ich thankfully, but it took 6 weeks to rid a 4 foot tank of it :wb: the strains are pretty virilant now so keep at it. You also need to treat for a little while after there are no signs of spots just in case. Fingers crossed it will be gone soon :yes:

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
Darn thing is, my albino bn was the last to get the spots and the first to be clear. However my platies are the ones with the spots that won't just go away. One day they are there, the next gone, then the next new ones show up!! Ahhhhhh! Makes it so frustrating.

Since I have plants and a bn, what other meds can I use that would be safe? I probably have a half bottle left of the Ich Attack, and if the ich isn't gone by the time the bottle is gone, I'm thinking of switching to something else.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Kordons rid ich+ is supposed to be pretty effective.

Ive heard that ich attack can be hit and miss, some people have had great success with it and not others. Is it def ich?

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I'm pretty sure. Little tiny white dots.The platies had it once before when I first got them about a year ago. I treated with salt then, but I didn't have live plants then either. Last night I only saw a couple spots on 2 of the 8 platies. Can I use Rid Ich + with a bn, a snail, and plants? I didn't think I could for some reason.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If you only saw a couple of spots then i would carry on with what you are using. Rid ich is good but still contains malachite green which isnt nice for any fish, i think it is ok with the above though.

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
My biggest prob with Rid Ich+ is the staining of everything. That's partially why I did salt before. Is it a danger to the fish if the Ich lasts so long? Since it's not going away as fast as it would with chemical meds.

Anyone tried Paraguard with bn's and plants? I only have 1 snail in there and I can move him out if I have to.

Just wish they would get better quicker! It's a pain doing a wc with the temp at 86 deg!

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Is it a danger to the fish if the Ich lasts so long?
Not so long as it is going, albeit slowly.

Doesn't paraguard contain malachite green? this is same ingredient that stains everything

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
It does contain malachite green, but can't find anything mentioning that it stains. Any other meds containing the same stuff mentions it. Hmmmm. I ordered some since it seems like a good "cover all the bases in one" med to have on hand. It doesn't expire, so that's good too! If I need to use it to kick this Ich, then I'll try it.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I like QuickCure. It contains both malachite green & formalin. It is supossed to be safer than each used individually & more effective in combination. I can't remember what the specific term is for this relationship but the med is very effective.

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I think I only saw one spot on one platy last night!!! Yeah! But we'll see what I find when the lights come on today.

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
Still one or two spots hanging around. Now only one of the juvie platies has a couple spots. Ughhhhhh Just when I think tomorrow will be the day with no spots, they pop up again! I've almost used an entire 16 oz bottle of Ich Attack on my 25 gal tank. The Paraguard should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get this ich over with. I have shrimp and snails I need to move into that tank!!

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks. I was done with Ich when I had Ich before and treated with salt/heat. Unfortunately can't really do that with all the plants I have in there.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The thing is, the med is working, just slowly which maybe how long the herbal ones take. Ive never used ich attack but as i said before, i have heard it can be hit and miss. If you feel you need to switch then i would try the paraguard as that is what you have purchased.

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
Unfortunately I only have one dose left in the bottle. It's down to either get another bottle of Ich Attack or try the Paraguard. Decisions decisions. I plan on moving shrimp/nerites into the tank after the ich clears. I'd probably be better off staying with the Ich Attack now.