using a Fry saver

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
Hi all I was just wondering what the best method was of moving fry to a fry saver
a) What is the best stage to move the fry
b) Is it best to move everything into the fry saver ie male fry and cave?
many thanks

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
My personal way is to wait until the fry are a few days old and then tip the cave into the saver. Most of the time the babies fall out and the male is left to work out what just happened :):).
Some people put the cave male and fry in the saver but I dont really see the point, You might aswell leave it in the main tank.

Soooooo spill the beans then, What you spawned?

Cheers

thegeeman

John

My hypan fry allways hatches after 5x24 hours, so i allways put male and cave after 4x24 hours in the trap.
This to prevent accidently kicked out wigglers from getting lost.
I take out the male and put him back in the main tank 10 days after hatching when the fry their yolksack is consumed up and the young start to wander out of the cave.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I think the answer depends a bit on what sort of fry? plecs. cories, cichlids etc?

as you mention a cave I will assume plec -but could be cichlid etc?

but I only use a fry saver in emergency - I think parents generally do a good job - why do you need one at all?

I only move into fry saver if eggs get kicked out. so tell us more?

can we congratulate you yet or are you just planning ahead?

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
Hi thanks for the replies its for my L333,s there are wrigglers in the cave but also juveniles in the tank at various stages so I thought it might be a good idea to use the fry saver for the new fry as they won,t be able to compete for food very well in the main tank. My plan was to grow them on and then release them once they are established

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hi thanks for the replies its for my L333,s there are wrigglers in the cave but also juveniles in the tank at various stages so I thought it might be a good idea to use the fry saver for the new fry as they won,t be able to compete for food very well in the main tank. My plan was to grow them on and then release them once they are established
Sounds like a good plan to me bikerman.:). If I leave them in the main tank then they dont seem to grow quite as fast.

Cheers

thegeeman