Veggie List

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
OK, I take that back - They are now chomping down on them........maybe they needed a little soaking, either that or grapes are better than nothing!!

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
I thought I'd give the frozen english peas a try. Boiled them for 3 minutes and after they cooled, I peeled them and tossed them in the tanks. Talk about a feeding frenzy! They didn't quit eating till every last morsel was devoured! Peas are now on their regular diet! Thanks for the veggie list!

Drew (plecoman)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Just wondering, has anyone tried feeding garlic?
There have been some who've tried. I can't remember exactly what happened but I think it wasn't much. There are many that feed crushed garlic rubbed on other veggies as garlic has both apetite stimulating qualities as well as medicinal qualities. Be warned however that it'll probably make you're entire tank water smell of garlic.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lmao, cool pics. Do you just put sprouts in raw? its one of a few veg i havent tried yet.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lol.

Will have to try them. We have some frozen ones, so could just thaw them out as they are part cooked.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Wonder if it gives them gas like it does humans
How do you think plecs glide for so long in the tank and ever seen a plec beat its fins hard to swim?. LOL

Jerry (who could not resist)sorry :lol:

Clare

Apr 12, 2010
Kent
Hi guys,

I normally feed courgette as this seems to my BN's favourite, however tried them on banana skin a few days ago and they seemed to enjoy it. :yes:

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I've tried zucchini, summer squash, and sweet potato so far. All nuked in water for a couple minutes, then weighted down with a plant sinker. So far my BN has enjoyed all of it, but especially the zucchini. I also made gel blocks with veg, but still on the second attempt, too much water vs gelatin. Makes it look like a winter wonderland in the tank as it disintegrates almost instantly. My platies love it, but I don't LOL Oh yeah, also tried broccoli tops, and that wasn't liked by the BN or the platies.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
A leaf of Iceberg Lettuce goes over good.Greenbeans are a hit also.

Bns are like black labs,they eat almost anything.

cincinnati

Feb 17, 2010
Central Vic, Australia
I give my BN's zuchinni (courgette) and peas... they love it!!!!

If you blanch the zuchinni in the microwave for 2-3mins they sink by themselves without having anything to weigh them down.

Thanks for the list... I'm thinking I'll try the mushrooms! :)

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
I am going to try mushroom now after reading this thread. Some brilliant suggestions. My Pardalis eats better than we do.

I have found his top 3 veg to be Mango (goes mad for it, just leaves the skin), Cucumber (only eats the seeds & leaves a nice C shaped remnant) & Courgette.

I also cut up the Mango etc into chunks & freeze. It freezes really well & I use a thin plastic tube with a lead weight & clip so I can suspend it in the tank so I can watch him eat & dangle about.

Here he is demolishing some Mango.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMTDdf6JWoQ"]YouTube- Pardalis & Mango.wmv[/ame]

I am definitely getting him some open cup mushroom tomorrow :D

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lol thats a great video, he is loving that mango. Its a good idea to make them work a little for their food otherwise they tend to get lazy. My common is around 5 now and very active, he can seek a floating mushroom within 20 seconds of it going in tank and demolish it in 5 mins now lol.

btw, our Picture of the month theme this month is common plecs:whistle:

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5936