Veggie List

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
lol thats a great video, he is loving that mango. Its a good idea to make them work a little for their food otherwise they tend to get lazy. My common is around 5 now and very active, he can seek a floating mushroom within 20 seconds of it going in tank and demolish it in 5 mins now lol.

btw, our Picture of the month theme this month is common plecs:whistle:

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5936
How big is he Doodles? What size tank is he in & with what filtration? I'm not giving this one up & have set aside a lot of money for a new home for him. Do you have any pictures of him? Is he alone or with other Pardalis? Ha, lots of questions, but I always wondered what they're like in a tank with others of their species.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
He is just over 1 foot long now. He has had 4 tank upgrades and hopefully will get one more. He is currently in a 262 Litre tank with a tetratec 1200(external) and a fluval +4(internal) plus an airstone. He shares at the moment with 2 juvie bristlenoses and 2 baby L270 plus some harlequin rasboras, 4 amano shrimp and a Siamese Algae Eater.

Heres some pics, click on thumbnails to get bigger photos.

DSCF1457.JPG
DSCF1996.JPG
DSCF2737.JPG

The first photo he was trying to hide in the cave but a bit big lol.
The third photo shows stress colouration/pattern as he doesn't like his photo taken.

I refer to him as he although not sure of sex and he is called Big Al:yes:

Theres two differnt commons, they are very similar but the pattern on the tummy will tell them apart, theres more info here

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756

Mine is the disjunctivus:D

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Haha @ the 1st pic! They remind me of naughty puppies lol

At the risk of hijacking this thread, one more question.. Have you noticed any behavioural changes as he's got older? Is he less shy, more shy, got aggressive to other species in the tank etc?

Thanks for the pictures, he is lovely <3

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You are welcome:D

I taught him to handfeed when younger, haven't done it for a while though. I think it can depend a little on each fish, as they get bigger they can be more wary and maybe less trusting but some peoples may be just as they always was. They don't tend to be aggressive although if sharing a tank with a similar sized fish then they might. He did used to swish the courgette with his tail though to get any other plecs off lol.

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
The third photo shows stress colouration/pattern as he doesn't like his photo taken.

:dk:

Stress pattern? My Disjunctivus has had this pattern for a long time, he doesn't seem stressed, he's pretty active in the tank and seems happy. I'll post a piture of them both tomarrow ( I tend to accidentially delete pictures instead of downloading them) so I have to get hubby to do it.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I will list a few I did not see or maybe missed when I looked through the thread

I keep only Panaque and Hypostomus

This is what they eat and do not ignore

Green peas shell on ( I saw shell off )
Radish
Turnips
Watermelon shell and some flesh
Coconut shell ( it also adds lots of tannins to the water )
Figs ( fresh )
Dandelion greens
Endive
Snow peas
Sugar snap peas
Alf alfa sprouts
Grape fruit
Orange
Clementines
Dates
Peaches
Pears
Chinese broccoli
Buck choy
Parsnip

Jason20679

Mar 26, 2011
Crewe
Hi
I have a L229 plec (don't know it's actual name but mines called George)
I was told it would eat anything from algae to wood including fruit and veg.
I bought him King British algae tablets and twice a week i give him a 2 inch piece of cucumber.
I've only had him 2 weeks and he doesn't seem to be eating the tablets (i drop about 4-5 tablets in each night) and he's definitely not eating the wood.
Could i be feeding to much or at wrong time of day and what else could i give him to make sure he has a decent diet?

Thanks

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
Hi
I have a L229 plec (don't know it's actual name but mines called George)
I was told it would eat anything from algae to wood including fruit and veg.
I bought him King British algae tablets and twice a week i give him a 2 inch piece of cucumber.
I've only had him 2 weeks and he doesn't seem to be eating the tablets (i drop about 4-5 tablets in each night) and he's definitely not eating the wood.
Could i be feeding to much or at wrong time of day and what else could i give him to make sure he has a decent diet?

Thanks
Doodles post at the start of this thread gives an excellent list of items suitable for feeding. The more varied the diet the better.

Try rubbing the algae wafers with garlic, it often helps to get them eating unfamiliar foods.

Jason20679

Mar 26, 2011
Crewe
Cheers jimmy.
Just kinda wanted to check as i can't seem to find much info on him.
With potatoes, i take it I'll need 2 peel them? And how would i weigh down spinach and peas?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Cheers jimmy.
With potatoes, i take it I'll need 2 peel them? And how would i weigh down spinach and peas?
L229 is a Hypostomus & all hypostomus are pretty much the smae. Do some research on more commonly available species & you should find a lot of info.

No need to peel potatoes, just cut off a piece & chuck it in the tank. There are a numer of different methods to weigh down veggies, some people use stainless steel utensils, stainless steel screws, pieces of rock and there are even comercial products available.

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
Cheers jimmy.
For leafy vegetables I use a clip like THIS, peas, I use frozen, will sink naturally if you blanch them for a couple of minutes and then de-shell them after cooling. Somethings they will prefer more than others.

gailawall

Apr 28, 2011
Florida
Carrot and BN Pleco

I have 2 females and one male Pleco. Last night I offered a blanched carrot about 3" long. When I got up this morning the male had dragged it into his cave. How important is it that I remove it now? I guess should offer more than 1 piece, huh?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You can, either raw or blanched. Any of the veggies previously mentioned coul dbe used for just about any plec. If they eat it or not can be a personal choice but so long as its not poisonous itll be okay to at least try.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
cheers lornek8,hope theres some left when i get home tomorrow.
at 5pm today i put a 1" slice of Courgette skin in the tank and watched it for nearly 30mins,ned my (L081) was the only fish to touch/eat it.even the amano shrimp leff it alone.