What plant am I?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Can someone tell me what this is?

I have planted it by individual stems after FF's advice in my Pico.

I also bought some ferts today, JBL ferrpol 24, will that get it to grow?

Can I expect it to carpet or grow upwards?

Thanks in advance, I don't do plants!

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Off the top of my head, my guess would have been either some type of Glossostigma or Dwarf Baby Tears. But I am no plant expert by far! If you posted the pic on www.plantedtank.net someone might be able to identify it for you. And it does look like a carpet plant to me.

I'm going with Glossostigma :D

SS317

Jan 14, 2011
Nsw
I'd be 99% that it's Glossostigma, I had a heap of it as a mat in one of my tanks years ago. With strong light it will stay low and grow well, but I never tried it with out co2.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Glossostigma it is..... A lot of light needed otherwise it grows leggy, co2 is also welcomed. A pretty hard species to grow

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Thanks everyone, will see how the current set up works before venturing down the co2 route, not sure I can be arsed!

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Am having real trouble getting this to root in my substrate, I come home and a lot of it is floating at the top of the tank.

I have an idea, could I use a piece of netting to put the plant through and then bury this under a layer or sunstrate?

Can anyone think of any long term issues with have the net (from a fish net) submerged under there?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
what about fine metal mesh?
i have some in my edge with some flame moss growing on it.
looks good and is sinking into the sand.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
what about fine metal mesh?
i have some in my edge with some flame moss growing on it.
looks good and is sinking into the sand.
My gut feeling is that long term a plastic net will be less harmful than metal but happy to be corrected :dk:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Having googled, Aluminium corrodes quickly forming Aluminium oxide, but unlike Iron this oxide then actually stops further corrosion.

Hmmm, perhaps one of our resident scientists will pipe up as to the potential effect of this long term in the tank.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Just found this on Planet Catfish

'AOn a sidenote, aluminum reactin with oxygen produces a compound - aluminumoxide - which is dangerous for fishes. It does not dissolve rapidly, but in case of a pH above 8 or below 6 it will react to give toxic new compounds - Al(H2O)5(H3O)4+ or Al(H2O)5(OH)2+.'

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Keep re-planting it mate, it will eventually grow roots strong enough to keep itself anchored down...... A substrate like amano's "xingu" can help to, it's basically an aquatic soil, be warned though that, that particular brand causes an ammonia spike when first used, fine for the plants not so fine for fish or inverts